HELP! Raising a Wild mallard duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kmaboo12, Jul 6, 2016.

1. kmaboo12

kmaboo12 New Egg

Jul 6, 2016
    Northern Colorado
    Recently found a wild mallard duckling alone. Searched all day for any sign of other ducks in the area and found nothing. Duck has been in a brooder for 8 days now. With unmedicated chick starter, stuffed duck, water, heat lamp, etc. seems to be thriving. Getting bigger. It also eats small grasshoppers we find and feed to it. Don't know the sex obviously. Had a few questions
    Can a duckling have tap water? To drink or swim in? We have been doing bottled.
    Would getting another duckling be a good idea so this one isn't raised alone? And can domestic ducklings carry diseases that wild ducklings do not have immunity to? I would not want to bring another home just to have it give the mallard a disease and kill it. Any advice would be helpful!

2. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Ultimately it comes down to what is the long term plan for the little duckling. Do you plan to keep it in an enclosure with a roof (or wire) on top as a pet? Do you plan to release it to the wild. If you plan to keep it know that wild mallards do migrate and that instinct is quite strong.

Personally I would contact wildlife authorities in your area. They may have other ducklings in rehab and could add it to them so it can be released once grown. I do not think keeping migratory birds in captivity is humane.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by