Help re-introducing the chickens to coop After invasion

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
One of my three hens was killed by a predator last week in the coop. ☹️ After three years, Some predator came along, not sure what kind. Now that we have cleaned out and hopefully made it predator-proof again, Are there any tricks to making the hens comfortable in the coop again? They seem tramautized by coop at this point (me too!) I’m not talking about locking them in the coop I just mean something i might do to make them feel more comfortable/secure and less stressed by being back in the coop where a predator invaded.

I bring out yummy treats if my chickens get stressed over something

Mealworms or a bit of raisins cut up grapes or pomegranate seeds are amongst faves

A small pile of dirt to scratch through treats always worked for me.

One of my three hens was killed by a predator last week in the coop. ☹️ After three years, Some predator came along, not sure what kind. Now that we have cleaned out and hopefully made it predator-proof again, Are there any tricks to making the hens comfortable in the coop again? They seem tramautized by coop at this point (me too!) I’m not talking about locking them in the coop I just mean something i might do to make them feel more comfortable/secure and less stressed by being back in the coop where a predator invaded.

Good luck! Time will help, and some treats, of cours or hay/straw to scratch around in as that’s always good for a few hours distraction.

I bring out yummy treats if my chickens get stressed over something

Mealworms or a bit of raisins cut up grapes or pomegranate seeds are amongst faves

A small pile of dirt to scratch through treats always worked for me.
Thank you! They are for the most part free range during the day but I will try to treat thing!

After a predator attack, I have gone around and checked everyone else for injuries and hold and pet them for a bit. Mostly they just seem to take it all in stride.
Good idea, the other two seem very healthy thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom