Help! Red worm in chicken poop?

Alimarr94

Hatching
Dec 8, 2018
Just got the baby chicks on Nov 10th. Saw this in the poop last night. Help!

Attachments

• 090EED1C-3D2D-4FAA-A69A-F07FC60F4C86.jpeg
    090EED1C-3D2D-4FAA-A69A-F07FC60F4C86.jpeg
    584.9 KB · Views: 205
Gapeworm is introduced through the eating of snails, slugs, earthworms etc. Are you feeding your chicks these things? if so, then I would watch the behavior of the chick. Gapeworm usually causes other signs, such as trouble breathing and the chick may be opening it's beak repeatedly seeming to not be able to catch air. This is because the gapeworm actually attaches itself to the trachea and may travel to the lungs. It is rare. If you are not feeding your chicks these treats and if they are not free ranging, it really can't have contracted it. But, the best thing to do at this point is to watch the chick to see if it has any other symptoms. If not, then I agree with Wyorp Rock, it is probably a shedding of the intestine, which can look just like that! If it did turn out to be gapeworm, it can be treated.
Hope this helps!
CJ

This is because the gapeworm actually attaches itself to the trachea and may travel to the lungs. It is rare.
Would gape worm be excreted in feces?
It is pretty rare, and more prevalent in warmer climes?

Hopefully @Alimarr94 comes back to provide more info....and tell us their location.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2018-12-8_10-50-14.png

Would gape worm be excreted in feces?
It is pretty rare, and more prevalent in warmer climes?

Hopefully @Alimarr94 comes back to provide more info....and tell us their location.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1610892
Agreed, I don't believe you will see Gapeworm in the feces:confused:

Back
Top Bottom