Help! Roo rough on Chicken!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tchelle1, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Tchelle1

Tchelle1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    We have 12 hens and 1 rooster. 4 of those hens are older chickens and are full grown adults. The other 8 range from what I would consider an early teen to teenager in chicken (sorry, haven't had chickens long, so I don't know technical terms, but about 4 of those 8 are laying, the others are not) One of the older hens is small and the rooster is very rough on her! The feathers on her back look horrible! My daughter and I noticed tonight that her back is actually raw! We now have her separated from everyone else, but was wondering if it would be ok to put Neosporin on her back where it's raw looking.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Neosporin is fine, but you should really purchase a hen saddle for her to prevent further injury.

3. Tchelle1

Tchelle1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2016
    We're fairly new to having chickens and a friend just now told me about this! Instead of ordering one and having to wait for it to come, I'm just going to make her one myself....or a few of them so I'll be able to keep them clean. Thank you so much for replying!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You may wish to consider keeping your rooster separate from the females until they are all mature and then seeing how things go. Maybe more "ladies", rather than "girls" may take the focus off your over-mated one.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!!
    Called hens and cocks(or roosters) if over a year old.
    Called pullets and cockerels if under a year old.
    Is best to give the age in weeks or months when talking about pullets and cockerels,
    removes any questions and can be key in offering solutions.

Quote:
    Ditto Dat^^^
    Separating the male will be much better in the long run, will be easier to reintegrate him,
    and the injured female doesn't have to lose the company of her flock mates while she heals.
    If he's 'rough rider' it will give all the girls a break.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by