Help! Rookie Mistake!

dd047fed-3b2d-4af4-be81-4e3bb67f1875-jpeg.1941362
Soooo I ended up with a broody BLRW about 3 weeks ago and I decided to let her sit on a few eggs. I made a major rookie mistake though. I did not mark the eggs under her and I did not check under her every day. I had marked on my calendar 21 days and we ended up with 1 chick that hatched on the 19th at exactly 21 days from when I let her sit on eggs. :jumpyTwo days ago she actually got up and I counted the number of eggs still under her, there are 15!!!! :th I do not know when they were each laid and I don’t want to throw any away as I don’t know if they’re viable and she’s still sitting :eek:...next issue is I brought the solo chick inside and placed him/her into my brooder in the house as I am not really set up for her to be outside with momma and momma is still broody. She/he is by himself and cries a lot. Also her/his poop is yellow which I don’t remember my other chicks pooping yellow. I have water and chick feed, heat lamp etc. same as when I bought chicks before earlier this year. She/he keeps getting this yellow poop dried on her fluff so I keep cleaning the little butt to prevent blockage...sooooo....Yea, any advice? She/he’s an EE x with a Wyndotte Roo...I’m assuming my GLW but It could be my BLRW :barnie
These 3 babies were bought from the feed and fodder store and popped under the mother chicken after a predator ate all her eggs 2 days from hatching.
4CBF7ECD-9BC7-4A5B-8831-E7B49DD44FFB.jpeg

These 3 babies were bought from the feed and fodder store and popped under the mother chicken after a predator ate all her eggs 2 days from hatching.View attachment 1942453
My coop is fairly high off the ground and mama didn’t nest in the nesting box but in the ground. I have no way to make sure babies don’t fall out of the coop off the ramp...also I let them out of the run during the day into a fenced in area and worry that a baby chick would not fair well. I had no intentions of letting mama raise the chick(s) cause the set up isn’t right...also no baby chicks at feed stores this late in the year around here so I can’t go buy just 1 chick...I’m gonna do dust the baby chick and see if I can tackle the coops and some of the chickens...I’m pretty mad at myself right now

You might be able to order a chick from a hatchery at this time of year. I would definitely candle the eggs and see what you have going on there. Also, I would figure out a situation to allow the mom to raise the chick(s).

My coop is fairly high off the ground and mama didn’t nest in the nesting box but in the ground. I have no way to make sure babies don’t fall out of the coop off the ramp...also I let them out of the run during the day into a fenced in area and worry that a baby chick would not fair well. I had no intentions of letting mama raise the chick(s) cause the set up isn’t right...also no baby chicks at feed stores this late in the year around here so I can’t go buy just 1 chick...I’m gonna do dust the baby chick and see if I can tackle the coops and some of the chickens...I’m pretty mad at myself right now
Yeah chicken momma did that too but I moved the whole box down to the ground to a nice quiet dark area and locked her in for a couple of days. Our nesting boxes are very very high.

How far are you from I-95? I am about an hour south of the NC/VA line, off I-95. I have a chick in the brooder because she got pecked on the head and I didn't want it to get worse. You may have her if you want her. She is the calmest chick I have ever seen. She just sits there and lets you pick her up. No running away! She snuggles into my hair and seems to like being carried around by my daughter.

How far are you from I-95? I am about an hour south of the NC/VA line, off I-95. I have a chick in the brooder because she got pecked on the head and I didn't want it to get worse. You may have her if you want her. She is the calmest chick I have ever seen. She just sits there and lets you pick her up. No running away! She snuggles into my hair and seems to like being carried around by my daughter.
Thank you but I’m 2 1/2 - 3 hours away from the border...I don’t think I could meet with you anytime soon due to work

Back
Top Bottom