Help Roos And Hen Fighting?? Or is it mating habits??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrsfoote, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Songster

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Ok so yesterday I pictured a picture of my silkie and everyone said they thought she was a pullet. I have 2 booted bantie roo's and today my one roo started to try and "fight" with my silkie she would try and " kick" back but then she'd go and rub on the side of my roo...does this mean she is a he or is this a common thing for pullets to do too. My EE and Light Brahma like to chase each other and hop around the yard. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Was that the first time they had been together. Alot of times my standard breed hens will flare their hackles and fight/kick at the bantam roos if they try to breed them or if they are just new to each other.

3. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Songster

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Nope I got all 6 of mine at the same time

4. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Hens will do a little bit of that type behavior but its normally a quick "bluff" and then its over. I won't worry about it at all unless it becomes sustained and they start holding on to each others faces and tearing. Then its getting serious and they will need to be separated. Personally I think they are just feeling their oats and having some fun establishing their pecking order.

5. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Songster

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Alright thank god I was hoping that was it because she is like at the bottom of the pecking order and the most mellow of them all my two standard size pullets like to chase each other and my light brahma seems to be at the top but our little bantie roo started to crow a few weeks ago and now seems to be trying to show his dominance while his brother just chills out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: