Help!!! Rooster attacking my ankles!!

LorenMcHugh

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 1, 2013
My 4 month old RIR rooster Murphy will follow me around and attack my ankles out of the blue. I feed and care for them and I seem to be the only one he goes after. My children just scare him it seems cause he never goes after them..thank god. Is there any way to get him to stop?? We handled him a lot as a baby hoping he would be a good rooster but he is drawing blood and I'm worried he'll start going after my children. Any advice would be appreciated. Btw I have 7 hens and it seems he's just started to have his way with some of the younger ones so he's def. maturing

My rooster does the same thing to me. He leaves my husband alone, but come after me. I'm not sure what to do either

He either sees you as lower than him on the pecking order, or as a threat to his girls, or both.

Firmly (but without causing pain or damage) pin him to the ground. If you can, position yourself so that your forearm is on his back, and you can pinch the back of his neck/feathers (IE Treat him like he would treat a hen....) Hold him there until it has sunk in that he's powerless to get up until you let him up. Do this in front of his girls.

If you can get him to chill out doing this, try and pick him up and tuck him in like he's a football. Carry him around a while. Try to avoid letting him flap and kick to wriggle free as this will show him that if he does this he can escape.

Calm but firm is the goal. Repeat often for a while until this works and occasionally if he seems to be getting uppity. If this doesn't work..... Make dinner out of him.

Chant to yourself. "I am the alpha..." :)

Ok I just grabbed my rooster and pinned him down while pinching the back of his neck and it worked!!!! He struggled a little but I think he realized he couldn't get up. I felt bad for him cause a few of the hens were pecking at him while I had him pinned down...I had to keep shewing them away. Iafter about a minute I let go and stood up above him and he continued to just lay there!!! I think I showed him who is the boss. Hopefully he'll be a good little roo from now on. I would hate to put down such a beautiful bird. Thanks for the great advice!!!

even after i never trust rooster{at least not the leader] with kids alone in pen or fenced area., never..because its always the first time something happens that bad things happen...others have other ways its just always been my way...when i was young on the farm the rooster never made any moves ...till one day.....jeff

Thanks for the tip I tried this and it seems to be working. Right now I can walk by him and he acts like I'm not even there. Hope it keeps working.

Back
Top Bottom