Help! Rooster fight left seriously injured chickens

jbrajdich

Songster
6 Years
Oct 13, 2016
Hello all!
Hoping you can help with a quandary. I’ve got 3 roosters I accidentally ended up with to my 6 hens. I’ve been trying to rehome them with no luck since I realized they were males and last night they got into a fight that left one very injured - bloody and missing an eye, not doing well, and another I found this morning with a similar fate. I’ve separated them in my extra garage stall with food and water and in the coop (limited options in very cold Wisconsin) until I can get the two injured to the vet Wednesday. They can’t see them until then.

If they can get healthy, does anyone have suggestions for what to do or any places to look into that take in roosters or are willing to butcher for meat? Struggling to know what to do within these guys so they don’t have to suffer a cruel fate with each other.

Any suggestions would help!

Do you have photos of the injuries?

General care for the eyes would be to clean/flush with saline, then apply Terramycin or Original Neosporin into the eyes and onto the surrounding tissues. If the eyes have sealed, then you can use a warm compress to help loosen them so you can get them open to clean out.

Any broken beaks? Sometimes they have blood inside the beak which can be sticky and make it hard for them to eat/drink. Offer a bit of warmed sugar water or electrolytes. You can gently clean out the beak with a qtip if necessary.

Hydration first, then offer some wet feed.

As for getting rid of them, you can try rehoming, advertise on Craigslist or your local feed store. Post here on BYC in the appropriate category of BST
Someone may take them for free to process for food. If you're leery giving them away, then process them yourself for a few meals for your family or other pets you may have.

Back
Top Bottom