Help!! Rooster Wars

jmb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Texas
I've only had chickens 5 months, and need advice from those with more experience! My New Hampshire Red roo, in the last couple of days is in a blind rage toward my Delaware roo! Yesterday, I thought he had killed him. No blood drawn, but the Delaware was trying so desperately to escape his attacks that his neck got stuck in the fencing wire. He was okay, but after that I separated the NHR in a cage. Other than his behavior toward the Delaware, the NHR is a sweetie, and lets you hold and pet him. I'm beginning to think the NHR is not letting the Delaware roo eat, cause he looks thinner the last few days. There are 10 pullets. Okay, this is my question: Any suggestions on reforming the behavior of the NHR roo? Or should I just work on finding him a good home? I was wondering if I kept him in this separate cage for a few days, if any of you think this might moderate his behavior? Thanks!!

I think you have one too many roosters....

If you separate and then try to reintegrate, the battles will more than likely be worse than they are now each time you try to put them back together.

Not sure how old the roosters are, but if they are in the 5 month range, that is when the hormones really are kicking in and the battles get worse.

I'd either find him a new home, eat him or if you want to keep him, make him a separate pen with 4-5 girls of his own.

Sorry, but I had this same issue.
hugs.gif
That roo needs to go...you can't modify the behavior, he is doing what he is supposed to do.

Or.....you could get another coop and another 10 hens!
lol.png

~Rebecca

Thanks so much for the advice!! Guess I'll go 1st to see my neighbor, who has 70 chickens free ranging on 6 acres, and see if by any chance she'd take him. Thanks again, I'm getting really tired of refereeing these two..

Hi JMB,

I just wanted to urge you to take the fighting between your roos very seriously. My 5 month old rooster killed his submissive brother two days ago. I had never before seen them fight and had seen no signs of fighting. I was checking the little guy daily to make sure he wasn't getting picked on, and I knew one of them had to go. We were planning on keeping the smaller one. He died in horrible pain and I deeply regret not getting rid of the other rooster sooner. I guess I hoped they could get along. I'm a new chicken mom. Well, now I know.

Dot

Been there done that. golden laced wyandotte roo vs cuckoo marans roo. They were seperated last winter from the girls because they were both getting to rough with them. I placed them in my garage together because at that point they got along just fine. For weeks they cuddled together and hung out with each other all day everyday until one day. They fought but were immediately seperated until i could find a good home for both. Once they start they aren't gonna stop. Its really hard around here to sell a roo even if you give them away seems noone wants them. I hope you manage to find one of your roos a good home very soon. Best of luck to you

Update: No one would take this guy. And, as it turns out, it would've almost been like giving them a rabid dog. The NHR went from gentle to dangerous and terroristic in a matter of days. He started fighting even with the hens ( no not breeding..fighting). It was like he was crazed or something. There was constant fighting, and crowing every 10 seconds for like 12 hours. It was awful. The entire chicken yard was shaking in their boots. My little roo actually broke a hole in the chicken wire trying to escape him. Something had to be done. So..r.i.p. for the NHR. I'm not happy about it, but my other 11 chickens are MUCH happier. There's peace in the chicken coop again.

I'm a new chicken Mom too. Probably, someone with more experience would have handled this better before it got to this point. I just couldn't believe how quickly this guy got so mean and aggressive. He attacked my husband too. Oh, and when I tried to put the NHR in the cage again, he rammed the opening and got out. Well, you get the picture. Our choices became quite limited.

Wow he really got aggressive quick!
somad.gif

I wonder if chickens can get rabies?
idunno.gif

Sounds like he definitely had something...maybe a mental condition.
Anyway, I hate that you had to lose him, but your other chickens are glad!
~Rebecca

I had the same problem with NH Roos - they were fine with humans - but agressive as heck to other chickens. Then they decided that humans were ok to go after too.

They are all gone, now - I didn't feel badly at all about dispatching them once they started to attack everything that moved. (they even tried to attack a dead chicken I had laid on the ground waiting for my son to dig a hole to bury it.:eek:)

Maybe someone else has had good luck with New Hampshire roos, but I will never have them on the farm again.

Peace -
Meriah

Back
Top Bottom