HELP!!! Rooster with head injuries not eating!

Peregrine

Songster
10 Years
May 28, 2009
North Georgia
I have 2 roosters (and only 4 hens) and before I have been able to sell one, he attacked the one I was planning on keeping. Road Runner (the injured rooster)'s head was covered with blood and I'm afraid that his right eye may have been hurt seriously; he won't open it. This happened yesterday. I took him into the bathtub and cleaned him off with peroxide on some cottonballs. His comb was really bloody; I tried to pat some of it off with paper towels. Today I read a link about injury care and did what was suggested--I rinsed his head with a peroxide/water soluton in a syringe (then rinsed with just water to get all of the bubbles off), and I put some advil in his water (200 mg for 2 cups). Whenever I check in on him he's sleeping, but still breathing. It lookes like he's drinking, because the water container is emptying, but he doesn't seem to be eating, neither the pellets nor some of his favorite treats (curdled milk and milk-soaked cereal left over from breakfast.) Any suggestions to how to care for him? I really want to save him; he's got the characteristics of an EE. Here are some pics:

32733_img_0157.jpg

32733_img_0159.jpg

I believe the black on his comb is blood scabbing over--the whole comb was bright red yesterday.
It looks like he's sleeping in the 2nd picture, but he's just got his eye closed.

Last edited:
Quote:
umm I think she said it got into a fight with another roo.
give him a little time, he doesnt look TO bad. Hope he gets better.

Yes I read that but she said "ithink". I would put hyrogen peroxide on it via Q tip once and then just leave it.

First of all, you need to clean the wounds a bit more (if those pics are of his current condition). Use a soft cloth and warm water to wash him in the sink or bathtub. Get the dried blood off him so that you can see exactly where and what his wounds are. It may be that his eye was sealed shut by dried blood. After you wash him, dry him with a towel; you can wrap him to keep him warm while he dries.

You'll need to keep him in a warm, comfortable place away from the other chickens until he is healed completely (chickens can turn cannibalistic at the sight of others' wounds). If you can keep him in the house that would be good. Then he can use his energy to heal as opposed to trying to stay warm. He is probably shocked somewhat by his wounds so it isn't surprising that he may have lost his normal appetite. It's good that he's drinking. You can add a bit of sugar to his water or give him a bit of Gatorade (for electrolytes).

You can use Blu-Kote or a small dose of neosporin on wounds away from his eyes.

You can put neosporin on the wounds as long as it does not contain any "caine" ingreds for pain. He looks like he will be fine. He is probably very sore. His eye may be injured and I don't think there is anything you will be able to do for this. Only time will tell. He will be ok with one eye if it come down to that. Just keep an eye on it and watch for infection. You can wash his eye with warm water only. I hope he continues to improve. You are doing great with him. Keep it up

Back
Top Bottom