Help.... Runt? Dwarfism? Failure to Thrive?

Androgynous would probably be more appropriate as a description.
All the chicks that were born with the dwarf clearly have distinguished marking that clearer states there sex except for him.
Not a dwarf either, actual dwarf chickens have very short legs. I unintentionally hatch them out all the time.
1660057674199.jpeg

I have a cockerel who left at 9 weeks and came back 2 or so months later and was the same size he left! He somehow got stunted. He's been growing since I got him back. I don't see him becoming full size like his brother, he's currently in a super lanky stage. His legs are normal size, where as the rest of him is not. It's pretty stinkin' cute, but oddly enough he is way more hormonal "mating action" than his brother who I've haven't seen try to mate any girls yet. I'll try to get a picture of him vs. his brother here in a little bit.

Mine is 18 weeks old
Now tell me!!!
I NEED the answer.
Yes, yours is old enough that it "should" be obvious, but it doesn't seem to be.

Do you know for sure whether it is crowing (male) or laying eggs (female)?
If you are not sure whether it is laying, you could check the butt to see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
If it is laying, of course it must be female.
If it is not laying, it could still be either gender.

If it is really important, you could try DNA sex testing:
https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/order-bird-dna-test/

I'm inclined to think it's a male who is maturing more slowly than normal, but I really do not know for sure. It could be a female who is getting close to laying age. (The comb is too big for an immature female-- so if it is a female, she should be laying within a month or so unless she already is.)

Some chickens do keep everyone guessing for months, and it can be very frustrating!
Second is Jupiter is front and sexless behind. Next to them is Ruhama, who I think is a girl but have no idea.
Jupiter is definitely male, Ruhama is most likely female, and the "sexless" one I think is more likely male than female, although I'm not positive about "him."

Not a dwarf either, actual dwarf chickens have very short legs. I unintentionally hatch them out all the time.
View attachment 3216874
Thank you for these photos of your dwarf hens. They look fully developed. If my hen ends up being a dwarf, maybe she will live longer too? The biger she gets the less legs you see, kinda all body, itty-bitty legs.

Yes, yours is old enough that it "should" be obvious, but it doesn't seem to be.

Do you know for sure whether it is crowing (male) or laying eggs (female)?
If you are not sure whether it is laying, you could check the butt to see:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/
If it is laying, of course it must be female.
If it is not laying, it could still be either gender.

If it is really important, you could try DNA sex testing:
https://orders.iqbirdtesting.com/order-bird-dna-test/

I'm inclined to think it's a male who is maturing more slowly than normal, but I really do not know for sure. It could be a female who is getting close to laying age. (The comb is too big for an immature female-- so if it is a female, she should be laying within a month or so unless she already is.)

Some chickens do keep everyone guessing for months, and it can be very frustrating!

Jupiter is definitely male, Ruhama is most likely female, and the "sexless" one I think is more likely male than female, although I'm not positive about "him."
It’s not laying or crowing.
Jupiter also doesn’t crow yet, but I think he’ll be a good man.

Thank you for these photos of your dwarf hens. They look fully developed. If my hen ends up being a dwarf, maybe she will live longer too? The biger she gets the less legs you see, kinda all body, itty-bitty legs.
The ones I have kept seem to have average life spans. If she is a dwarf she may need special accommodations. Ramps and roosts and such are harder for them to negotiate and they can hurt themselves, especially their little legs, trying to keep up with the big girls.

The ones I have kept seem to have average life spans. If she is a dwarf she may need special accommodations. Ramps and roosts and such are harder for them to negotiate and they can hurt themselves, especially their little legs, trying to keep up with the big girls.
Thank you for the advice. Just lastnight I was telling my hubby we need to make her special arrangements. I suggested a special area she can manage to roost on. But didn't know what else might need altered for her. Ramps is definitely a thought. She hasn't participated in physical milestones the others have, challenging, roosting, jumping on items etc. She eats drinks, scratches perch on a low shelf if other birds aren't there.

Oh my goodness! A hawk just tried to swoop down and get my girls right in front of me, right next to my back french door. That's where I put them in the morning so I can see them all day and big girls can come up to spend the day around them. They are inside a small fenced area with perches at different heights and a wood box in the area to hide in. Planning to move them down to the chicken runs this weekend. I chased the hawk off but she sat on the power pole watching and waiting. I secured the top (that was open). I've used this fence for years and never had a hawk interested before. Thank goodness I keep them where I can watch.

Attachments

• 20220811_095307.jpg
    20220811_095307.jpg
    439.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom