Help save Sugar *updated first post Pictures* Graphic!!

bragabit

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Southern Utah
Well I was just telling my DH how well our transition went for our chicks. We had seperated the coop so the chicks were isolated from the hens. Well they figured a way out, and got into the pasture with the hens. I thought all was well as there was plenty of room and the chicks stayed away from the hens. I just went out and my 7 week old white leghorn has the skin from her back of the neck ripped off. She isn't bleeding but you can clearly see muscles, bone and veins. She is eating, walking and drinking fine. What should I do? I have a rabbit hutch I can put her in...Do I cull or treat? Is this the work of a roo or my dominant hen? Do I have to seperate them all, will they attack my other babies?

*update*I have patched up the coop, so everyone is seperated again. And the injured white leghorn (*Sugar, is her name*) is in the rabbit hutch with one baby bunny. I gave her some food and she is acting normal. But I am unsure how to treat her. Will the skin ever come together or regrow?

Pictures2009March209.jpg

Pictures2009March208.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to tell exactly what you are dealing with with out seeing it for myself- can you post a pic?

My rescue hen had huge gashes due to road rash from falling from a truck during transport. The vet said it would be fine. it scabbed over in no time and it was a huge gash too. chicken skin is thin and hard to stitch tight because it can tear.

Nexaban or other skin 'glues' are good for connecting skin. I am not even sure what other like products are out there now.

I would not cull at this point, if kept clean it will scab and new skin will regenerate. I work at a vet office and see bad wounds all the time. I had a rabbit growing up that was brutally attacked by another rabbit. He had a huge hole in his side and you could see his muscles like you described your chick. He was separated and kept clean and he was fine.

Chicks are young and should heal fast, antibiotics would probably be helpful while he is recovering....be sure the rabbit does not attack him....I would be leery of leaving him unattended- even with a docile creature like a bunny---they are not always very docile and can attack for various reasons.

(we had one that attacked people...we named her Bunnicula!!!

good luck

Last edited:
I would keep them separated till they're a little bigger. It's hard to tell but my guess would be that it was a hen rather than a roo (those hens can be brutal to the newbies.) I wouldn't cull myeslf. She may always have a bare patch, but that certainly won't keep her from laying.

I would try to keep it clean and ward off against infection until it heals. I would keep bag-balm (think i spelled that right) or perhaps just some neosporin on it or something like that. Something that will keep the flies out of it so that it can heal.

Hopefully someone more experienced than I can offer more insight.

Good luck and I hope all goes well.

I would not keep it with the rabbit as it may cause the rabbit to become mean
also I would use the
wet mash probiotic as it will help the gut flora to become able to fend off disease
and use the2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar in the gallon of water
which helps the gut flora also and the calcium needed by the body for healing
you can PM me for any information on the wet mash probiotic recipe

I agree with Glenda, and I would also bring the bird into the house. Flies can quickly lay eggs=maggots(!). I also think that bunking with a bunny could turn out to be a problem (Bunny may want to protect it's space, and if it's a male, I've seen one hump a chicken when they were penned together - much to the chicken's dismay!).
As for the healing - if the wounds are kept clean - should be no problem.
Good luck -

You don't want to try to close the wound. It needs to heal from inside. Keep it clean, use a little Neosporin or bag balm or similar product if you wish. She needs to be indoors (away from flies, at least) and by herself til she heals; just use a laundry basket with a window screen over it, a cardboard box, whatever. Probiotic would help, as would a little extra protein. Chickens have amazing recovery ability. Good luck!

Well your predictions were right, the bunny kept pulling and nibbling on feathers. So the bunny was turned out to our pasture. I don't have any way to bring the baby bird in "yet" but when I go to town tomorrow I will try to find something for her. She is really adorable and my kids consider her a pet. I took some picture but I can't seem to get my camera to communicate with my computer at the moment
hmm.png

smoother it in bacitracin and keep her seperated, she should heal up but inside is the best idea to keep bugs out. just till it scabs over, let it get dry after a few aplications of the ointment then reapply as necissary.

Back
Top Bottom