Help sexing 19 week old Columbian Wyandotte?

jbs

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Maryland
I have three, 19 week old Columbian Wyandottes and one of them has recently grown a comb and wattles while the other two have nothing. I'm having trouble finding any information on sexing CW's and am hoping that someone here can help me. Does she look like a roo or is she just developing before the others? The first photo shows the three birds together, the last two are just the bird in question. Thanks for any help.

93028_3_wyandottes.jpg

93028_wyandotte2.jpg

93028_wyandotte.jpg

Thanks for your responses. I got these from Meyer Hatchery, so I guess it's possible that the one might be mixed? I'm still hoping that one of our 14 chickens is going to be a rooster, but it's starting to look like I have all females.

She is definitely not a Delaware, and single combs will pop up in Wyandottes every once in a while. I have a silver Laced with a single comb. I don't think she's mixed.

Thanks for your response lothiriel. It doesn't matter THAT much, but I'll be a tad upset with Meyer Hatchery if they sent me some sort of mixed breed. Oh well, she's a sweet girl, I love her regardless.

the feathers right now say pullet

although comb and wattles make me want to say roo as i have never seen a pullet at 19 weeks with them so developed

Last edited:
I agree its a pullet. And no worries she's not mixed, hatcheries are just more concerned with production capacity rather than looks. They don't cull harshly for faults like having the wrong comb.

Back
Top Bottom