Help Sexing EEs

Shortperson2002

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 6, 2014
Nc
I got this lot from TSC about 6 weeks ago.
The first day we had them we tried to feather sex them and assumed we had 3 roos and 3 pullets.
We were also told by tsc these were Ameraucanas, but not suprisingly they are EEs. :) Problem is Ive heard EEs are soooo hard to sex. So if anyone has any advice or knows what we have please let us know.

Carmel - We think this is a pullet.

Elsa- We think she is a pullet but are not too sure with her body being a different pattern then her head. Also tends to raise hackles. The only chick that has a one row pea comb.

Guido- We think this is a roo, via feather sexing and slower feather growth. Is very curious of us and will sort of let us pick him up.

Gunner- Possible Roo. He is much heavier then the other 5 and is semi aggressive. He also plucks and chests bumps the other chicks. Has a rasphy voice. And has a slower feather growth. Is starting to have a red pea comb.

Hershey- We believe this one is a pullet. The only one of the group besides guido that is curious of us and will let us almost hold her.

Roo- Possible Roo. Slower feather growth, heavy weight, semi aggressive, rasphy voice.

Oh my thats bad news lol. Gotta love straight run chicks.

Ive heard numerous times that we cant go by the pea comb since EEs are mutts and they pull different characteristics from various breeds. Is this true?

I agree with Coop de Grille-- Elsa looks like the only pullet. All of the others have redder, larger, wider combs. Carmel, Gunner, Hershey, and Roo are beginning to grow in red feathers on their wing shoulders, which is a male trait in EE. Guido has typical splotchy black and white coloring of EE roosters. All of the suspect roosters have blotchy, patchy coloring, which is a male trait.

Quote:
I have tons of EE's. It is confusing to tell their gender but as Wyandottes7 pointed out there are specific little roo traits that shine through. Straight run is a shot in the dark. I have six straight run GLW's and I have a feeling they are all male. My very first 8 chicks ALL turned out to be boys, so I feel your pain lol..

ETA: Gunner and Roo are going to be gorgeous boys! I currently have a roo named Little Man that looked just like Gunner but with a different comb.

Last edited:
I agree with Coop de Grille-- Elsa looks like the only pullet. All of the others have redder, larger, wider combs. Carmel, Gunner, Hershey, and Roo are beginning to grow in red feathers on their wing shoulders, which is a male trait in EE. Guido has typical splotchy black and white coloring of EE roosters. All of the suspect roosters have blotchy, patchy coloring, which is a male trait.

X2 on that. :)

Gunner and Roo look like they're going to be stunning boys! If I didn't live clear across the country I'd offer to take those boys off your hands.

I have tons of EE's. It is confusing to tell their gender but as Wyandottes7 pointed out there are specific little roo traits that shine through. Straight run is a shot in the dark. I have six straight run GLW's and I have a feeling they are all male. My very first 8 chicks ALL turned out to be boys, so I feel your pain lol..

ETA: Gunner and Roo are going to be gorgeous boys! I currently have a roo named Little Man that looked just like Gunner but with a different comb.

Wow he sure is gorgeous!
I had a feeling Gunner & Roo were going to be my good looking guys. Even though I am kind of in love with the black and white of Guido.

Thanks yall! I just had a feeling a week ago when the combs started to come in but I was in major denial. I just hoped I at least had 3 hens. But Im so happy I have atleast 1. :)

I agree with everyone else--it looks like Elsa is the only pullet. They should all be beautiful birds when they mature!

Back
Top Bottom