Help Sexing My Buff Ducks!! Please!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mother_Hen2011, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Mother_Hen2011

Mother_Hen2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Ok so Im not exactly sure how to post pics.. [​IMG] But anyways ok so in April I bought 2 (What i beleive to be Buff Ducks) ducks. Im not sure since Im new to owning ducks... If one is a male or if they are both female. It is now August and neither one of them have the sex feathers. Im not sure when they are supposed to get them. I am hoping for a male and a female. One is much more pretty than the other(hince the reason I belive one is male.) But Im just not sure.. I will try posting pictures just not sure how yet! Lol Please can some one help me! lol

2. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    To post a pic you just go to the top of the page and click on the uploads link. Then you browse your computer and find your pic. Then you click on submit it will upload your photo to byc. Next you highlight the bottom line under the pic copy and paste to your post.

The best way to tell males form females is by voice sexing them. Males will have a raspy sound when they "quack" and females will acctually QUACK! She will be loud! Lol! If you cant get them to make sound try picking one up, that usually does it. If not take them out of eyesight of the other duck. That is a sure way to get them to voice their opinions. Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    [​IMG]
    These are my babies [​IMG] They are a male and female. Male has the darker head female has the lighter head. Lol In this pick he doesnt have his sex feather but has recently gotten it in. They are so precious together. Whom ever said most ducks dont have mating rituals hasnt spent enough time with them to know that they do! Or at least mine do! I go out every morning to let them out of the coop and they are in their pond wooing each other lol and than they mate after they woo lol [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    [​IMG]
    He doesnt ever leave her side! He watches over her every where! I never see them alone. If I ever do than I will be worried! They have been mating almost every day for the past almost 2 weeks now! no eggs yet but hopefully soon! [​IMG]

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    They are very pretty! Looks like you got the sex thing figured out. [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They are beautiful!!

7. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Oh what beautiful ducks! I am jealous! [​IMG] Cant wait till you get your first eggs. Its exciting to see a duck egg. Lol! though they arent really that different from a chicken egg. When I got my first duck egg I was SO EXCITED!!! Lol! But I am weird! You need to hatch babies from them to and sell them. Or sell their fertile eggs. I would buy some if I wasnt at my limit. Lol! Glad you got a pair, they will make pretty babies, if you let them have babies that is. [​IMG]

8. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks [​IMG] Well Im not sure how to know when she will lay after Ive seen them mate like 60 times! rofl the first thing they do when i let them out in the morning is do their thing lol. I will see if she will brood her eggs before I sell them. I dont have the means of hatching any eggs lol. So hopefully she will keep them safe. Currently working on a special coop just for the ducks.. should i leave the male with the female since they dont like to be seperated? I mean if she lays can he stay with her? Should I allow her access to the pond right outside her coop? I have never owned any ducks or chickens before lol so any help or advice would be great [​IMG]

9. Mother_Hen2011

Aug 2, 2011
    New Mexico
    Quote:I am gonna be posting some newer pics of my ducks [​IMG] so great for some serious cuteness! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by