Help! She ate a salamander!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hb, Feb 23, 2008.

1. hb

hb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    SF Bay Area, California
    Does anyone know if a chicken eats a salamander is it poisonous to her? I think that they have toxic secretions on their skin. I tried to get it out of her beak but she ran away and scarfed it down.

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just keep an eye on her. I'm sure mine have scarfed that down along with tons of other creatures including baby snakes and night crawlers. If you know there are poisonous animals there, just keep an eye on her.

3. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    i would think that she'd be fine

4. Roux

Roux Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you know what kind of salamander?

5. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I've seen my chickens eat little frogs and fence lizards. They even fought over a small snake once. The chickens were fine, can't say the same for the reptiles.
    I don't know if salamanders are ok, but I would guess so. Mine could easily have eaten some, since we have several varieties around. I just never witnessed them eating one. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I don't think there are many poisonous salamanders in your area. I wouldn't
    worry at all.

7. hb

hb Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2007
    SF Bay Area, California
    Roux: All I know about it was that it was a tiny, black salamander trying to make a run for it.

SilkieChicken: Let's say hypothetically, if it was poisonous, how long do you think that it would take for it to affect her? If she seems sick, is there an antidote? My vet takes Sunday's off.

I'm still concerned, but feel a little more at ease.

Thanks to you all for your advice, and so quickly! That's what's so great about this forum!!!!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hard to say how long it would take, but since you can "clear" the internals of a bird in 12 hours before butchering, I say if it was to do anything to her system that was bad in a poison type way, less than 12 hours.

9. Roux

Roux Chillin' With My Peeps

Considering the type of toxins that amphibians carry, if there was going to be an issue, you'd probably be seeing it by now.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by