HELP!! - Should I help this chick out?

mspj

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Xenia, OH
I am on day 21 of incubation, the first egg pipped yesterday morning at 8 am. I have had 2 complete by themselves, the first one is still alive, it pipped close to the small end away from the air cell, I thought maybe it had drowned (it has been well over 24 hours from pipping). I am now seeing movement at the very small pip, the little things keeps sticking its beak out!

Should I help or should I wait longer? Help!!

Wait, I'm glad I did. They can take quite a while from pip to zip. One of mine took 30 hours. The other hatched three hours after pipping! Another I did help, you can see why on my other page.

As long as he is still moving this much later, despite pipping on the wrong end, he should be okay.

If/when he starts to chirp A LOT, then he's ready to zip. If you hear that for a while but don't see any new cracks in the shell, then you can help. A zipping chick almost never shuts up! In the past year, I think I've only had two that hatched quietly, and I have been incubating CONSTANTLY.

He's out! and I didn't have to help. Resting between sessions of trying to stand, these things are just so darn cute!!!!
And my grandkids got to watch, an experience they will never forget.

Back
Top Bottom