help! Sick baby chick

lilhennipenni

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
My 6 day old barred rock chick has labored breathing that seems to move her whole body. Her mouth stays open and most of the time her eyes are closed. The temp in the brooder is around 85 under the lamp with an area away from the lamp to cool down. The chicks were originally kept outside of the feed store in open-framed boxes enclosed with chicken wire, in 65 degree windy temps (it hailed today) and most of them were crowding under the heat.
All the other chicks are fine but this one. She doesn't eat on her own as far as I can tell. She has only had a few sips of water in the hours Ive spent watching them in the last couple days. Her poo is greenish and white. She calls out in a distressed chirp every few seconds at this point. It looks like she tries to fall asleep but her breathing never calms down.
1st time chicken owner... any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated! The girl at the feed store sent me home with electrolytes and said "some just wont make it". I only have a handful, they aren't just food in my eyes, and its painful really to watch this little one suffer...

My 6 day old barred rock chick has labored breathing that seems to move her whole body. Her mouth stays open and most of the time her eyes are closed. The temp in the brooder is around 85 under the lamp with an area away from the lamp to cool down. The chicks were originally kept outside of the feed store in open-framed boxes enclosed with chicken wire, in 65 degree windy temps (it hailed today) and most of them were crowding under the heat.
All the other chicks are fine but this one. She doesn't eat on her own as far as I can tell. She has only had a few sips of water in the hours Ive spent watching them in the last couple days. Her poo is greenish and white. She calls out in a distressed chirp every few seconds at this point. It looks like she tries to fall asleep but her breathing never calms down.
1st time chicken owner... any suggestions or insight is greatly appreciated! The girl at the feed store sent me home with electrolytes and said "some just wont make it". I only have a handful, they aren't just food in my eyes, and its painful really to watch this little one suffer...
I think the best you can do is separate her from the others and give her her own heat lamp. Keep her in a quiet place so she does not get stressed.

Force feeding is very very stressful for the bird and can make her go into shock and get a lot worse.

i would try to give her electorlytes with a blunt syringe every hour. Only a small amount each time not to overload her system.

You can also mash up some chicks starter with water and a very small amount of sugar and feed that the same way.

Make sure her crop is empty before each feed.

It might be she has some internal disease and that she is not going to make it. But you can at least try,,, and good luck.

Thank you. She made it through two nights so far, fingers crossed. Yesterday I mashed together hard-boiled egg yolk, a dab of plain yogurt, and softened medicated starter and gently fed it to her. She ate it. Pecked at it a few times herself, but wont eat on her own. Their water has probiotics and electrolytes in it now. Ive been giving her the electrolyte water through a dropper in little beads of water on her beak that she doesn't seem to mind. Today I saw her get her own water once. I will just keep feeding her throughout the day I guess.
She gets more stressed away from the group so i just let her be with the others.
Thanks again :)

I am wondering what to do if i notice the crop is not emptying all the way? I'm new to this and am trying to observe as much as i can in the hours between work. She is pooping about once or twice a day, it looks green with white. Sometimes I can hear squishy noises in her crop. I massaged it and could feel a few tiny hard fragments (very small). But she wont eat or drink on her own, and now she hardly swallows what I can get in her beak, as if she really doesnt want it. Her body still rocks back and forth and she still chirps out with almost every movement. I dont think her crop is emptying all the way. Every time i feel it it seems halfway full.

Back
Top Bottom