HELP!! SICK CHICK (PIC ATTACHED) protrusion from rear end??

polochic

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Aiken, SC
28585_favorelle_sick.jpg

This chick is almost 5 weeks old. It is the size of a two week chick. When it was born it laid on the floor of the bator for 12 plus hours and was trampled by the others and I really didnt thik it would make it. I noticed yesterday it cheeping a lot and saw this wierd large protrusion from the rear end. I have seen it go to the bathroom, and it's eating and drinking. Any one ever seen anything like this??

This kinda looked like one our chicks when after we cleaned his pasty behind, like it was iratated and swollen. Did your chick have a pasty rear?
I would seperate it from the others and monitor poop and make sure its eating and drinking.

I agree with J&KV, but I would also put Preporation H (without pain relief) on it's vent. That will help with the redness and swelling. If there is a prolapse, which I can't tell but I don't think there is, you can try and push that back in carefully!!!

He needs to be healed from the inside out. This means separating him with the smallest other chicken from the batch - keeping him warmer than his age because of his feathering.

Give them both 1/2 teaspoon (together) of yogurt daily for a week. Make sure they get plenty to eat and drink. Vitamins/minerals in their water (a poultry package) or polyvisol vitamins daily to eat.

He's cheeping loudly because he's irritated in his digestive tract. Giving them a little cooked oatmeal (a teaspoon) with the yogurt can help sooth his digestive tract. Make sure they're all on "starter" or "starter grower".

If he has diarrhea, please update *this* thread so we can help.

Clean the vent daily with warm water gently. THEN you can put the PrepH on it but I suspect after 2 days of the yogurt you won't need to.

Please feel free to PM me. I really will be watching my email carefully for notices that you've updated here as I'd really like to help you correct this issue that caused this, not just the protrusion.

thanks so much everyone for all your wisdom and advice. I will follow instructions and update you guys on how things are going in a few days. It's nice to have such caring people out there to help. Thank you all!

Have had several from the feedstore that have looked like this. I agree with others....separate, clean vent well with warm water and baby wipe, put vaseline/bagbalm on bum to help heal. It looks like there is a little sore that may need the bag balm that maybe another chick pecked. Don't put back with others until all well or they will peck the little one again. Check droppings and clean 1-2 times day, apply ointment or vaseline. He will heal quickly.

Back
Top Bottom