Help Sick Chick?

Mar 17, 2022
Purcellville, VA
Found my chick splayed like this, it’s stayed alive but is pretty weak. Any ideas of what I can do to help? Been giving her electrolytes and water through droplet, she seems interested in eating, but doesn’t seem to swallow.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
F8EB8C44-5207-487B-9B7E-AB9558CF9B26.jpeg

When a chick is like this, most often it's due to constipation. Can you get the chick to wake up and take food and water? If it's unconscious, nothing can be done. But if it's conscious, give it some coconut oil directly into its beak after chilling small bite size pieces to make it firm. Try to get a teaspoon of oil into the chick.

What has it been eating? Any whole grains or seeds or pulpy fruits or veggies?

When a chick is like this, most often it's due to constipation. Can you get the chick to wake up and take food and water? If it's unconscious, nothing can be done. But if it's conscious, give it some coconut oil directly into its beak after chilling small bite size pieces to make it firm. Try to get a teaspoon of oil into the chick.

What has it been eating? Any whole grains or seeds or pulpy fruits or veggies?
This is a double posting, look for the other one to see what is going on, I've been monitoring and helping since last night. It is not sleeping or constipated, it's most likely a neck injury from a fall. It also can't swallow food. Go ahead and catch up :)

It’s all really helpful information, unfortunately the chick gave up. 😢😢😢😢 But I have ordered all the stuff Sylie recommended and will have coconut oil on hand so hopefully the rest of the flock will thrive. Thank you all for your help, and sorry about the double posting, still getting the hang of things. 🐥

I use coconut oil for my birds but it's a treat, not something they should have regularly. I usually mash up a banana into it and they gobble it up. I would use it cautiously in chicks, it is an oil after all. you don't want loose stools going on. Chicks really should not have treats until they are 10 days to 2 weeks old and then, just one thing at a time and only every couple of days. Their systems need to learn how to handle the new additions.

If you want to give them a treat early on, a mashed up boiled egg is always welcome (after 3 days old). Chicks can become "addicted" to treats (actually adults can too lol) and then refuse to eat their regular food.

Good luck with the rest of your flock! I think you are doing fine. Hang out here, read everything you can here about raising chickens, ask questions often, we were all new to chickens at one point or another and someone will be able to answer your questions.

Back
Top Bottom