*Help!!! Sick Chick!*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tripp16, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok I posted this thread in the "raising baby chick" section yesterday and they said to move it to here if she didnt get better.....

Well heres the story! I went out yesterday morning and it was their first day without the light so I figured that it was normal that she was all puffed up.....so I left her, well all day she continued to be like that and her buddies werent. She is eating and drinking just stays puffed up and stands in one area like she doesnt want to move....I turned the light back on last night or them but she still continued to stand up and I dont think she layed down. [​IMG]

She acts like she is trying to sleep but cant! Can anyone help me! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    With the description, I would treat for coccidia. You can find Corrid at Tractor supply. You put it in their drinking water. Start treatment as soon as you can. Coccidia can kill chicks very quickly!!!

3. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:She is 5 weeks old and almost fully feathered. Should I remove her from her flock mates??? [​IMG]

Ive never had a sick chick before! [​IMG]

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Anyone else? I need to whether or not to remove her from the others..... [​IMG]

5. workinnanie

workinnanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    I would isolate her until I figured out what is wrong or until she gets better. They may start picking on her if she gets worse. I am certain there are people on BYC that know a lot more than I do. But it would be a start until you are further advised. Good luck!

6. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I posted back in the other thread. I had a chick with similar symptoms a couple weeks back. Initially I suspected cocci, but when I went to separate him I noticed his crop was quite ballooned out. I was able to then treat successfully with crop massages and a yogurt only diet for a few days (with water + ACV). How's your chick's crop feeling?

7. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    To find the source it would be best to isolate. Bring her into the house, put her in a crate under a heat lamp, give her electrolytes in her water, maybe some mashed up boiled egg and see if she perks up. Also watch her poop closely and let us know how it looks like. Good luck! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by