Help! Sick Chicken, unsure of cause.

ChickenKing8

Hatching
Jun 1, 2020
Yesterday, my beautiful Buff Orpington, Stonewall, began acting strange. She was very keen on staying in her nesting box. She began pooping out yolk and feces mixed together. She eventually excreted the leathery shell of her egg. She continues to eat, and she drinks water as well. I have seen her poop as well, which is coming out an unusual, but somewhat normal consistency. I don’t think she is egg bound, as she doesn’t have the penguin stance. She also is a bit lethargic, but is still foraging. She is the sweetest chicken ever, and is very friendly to humans. (We named her Stonewall, because she has one wing)

Attachments

• 4FF69403-50AE-4B2A-86DD-814033DA15C7.jpeg
    4FF69403-50AE-4B2A-86DD-814033DA15C7.jpeg
    438.5 KB · Views: 31
  • CA586DBE-23D8-4EC3-BB6D-90FBD123B54F.jpeg
    CA586DBE-23D8-4EC3-BB6D-90FBD123B54F.jpeg
    769.4 KB · Views: 4
Yesterday, my beautiful Buff Orpington, Stonewall, began acting strange. She was very keen on staying in her nesting box. She began pooping out yolk and feces mixed together. She eventually excreted the leathery shell of her egg. She continues to eat, and she drinks water as well. I have seen her poop as well, which is coming out an unusual, but somewhat normal consistency. I don’t think she is egg bound, as she doesn’t have the penguin stance. She also is a bit lethargic, but is still foraging. She is the sweetest chicken ever, and is very friendly to humans. (We named her Stonewall, because she has one wing)
I wish I could help, I don’t have a clue what it could be. Do you have access to a vet that specializes in avians?

Put your thread in the proper place to get help from more experienced people. I came upon your thread by chance and others can’t see it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures.10/

She began pooping out yolk and feces mixed together. She eventually excreted the leathery shell of her egg. She continues to eat, and she drinks water as well.
She also is a bit lethargic, but is still foraging
Was the leathery shell intact or had it ruptured?

If I have one that does this I give them a direct dose of Poultry Vitamins (I use Poultry Cell at 1 cc per 3 pounds of weight) along with extra Calcium (1 Tums or 1/2 Caltrate) for a couple of days.
She may have another egg on the way, but having to expel a soft shell/membrane (for mine) seems to be hard and make them not feel well.

Is she having a discharge from the vent like egg yolk/white is leaking from the vent? The worry is that the egg material leaked from the membrane before it was expelled - egg is a fine medium for bacterial growth - so infection is a possibility. An antibiotic may be needed to fight infection - it really depends on if the shell (egg) was "intact" when expelled. If you feel she needs medication, contact your vet or you can sometimes find Amoxicillin in Tractor Supply or order it online.

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

The shell was ruptured. However, she quickly pooped out a lot of yolk material very quickly after. It appears she is no longer pooping egg yolk material, but poop of a more normal consistency. I have made her a probiotic/electrolyte solution mixed in with her normal drinking water. I have a picture of her most recent poop. She is foraging around her little hospital cage looking for food still.

Attachments

• AC0FB960-15C8-4F75-9315-4D04F19E8ECA.jpeg
    AC0FB960-15C8-4F75-9315-4D04F19E8ECA.jpeg
    804.4 KB · Views: 4
  • C7C0BFF4-080E-43D1-A9C5-D19A88DCD14D.jpeg
    C7C0BFF4-080E-43D1-A9C5-D19A88DCD14D.jpeg
    667.3 KB · Views: 4
Does the poop have purple in it or is it the flooring?

How's she acting now - still lethargic or getting better? I would let her eat/drink and probably let her back with the flock if no one is picking on her. I rarely separate out a bird unless it's necessary.

Unfortunately, ever since she lost a wing to a predator, the rest of our flock has rejected her as a cripple, and have tried to kill her on multiple occasions. So she’s always had a separate space from the mean ones. The flooring is purple, so it’s not the poop. She’s still a little lethargic, but her poops are normal looking.

Unfortunately, ever since she lost a wing to a predator, the rest of our flock has rejected her as a cripple, and have tried to kill her on multiple occasions. So she’s always had a separate space from the mean ones. The flooring is purple, so it’s not the poop. She’s still a little lethargic, but her poops are normal looking.
Poor thing!

I sort of thought the floor might be purple! The poop in the photos looks mucousy, which could be from the egg. I would watch that for a few days.

How is she doing now?

Back
Top Bottom