Help sick chicken

Chickenguy6373

Chirping
Dec 5, 2018
BB649E97-1C73-45C3-B590-E0C542B37ECC.jpeg
I went down one night and my chicken was standing on the ground i lifted it back on perch it is usually flaps its wings to get away but not this time,he just stood their his feathers are puffed out and his comb is a pale grey he is a rhode island red.previously i went down one morning and had my leghorn lying dead on the coop floor plz if u have any informstion or cures for this plz let me know asap!/he is pictured at the end this photo was took this summer @chickeeper @ChickenHelper23

Last edited:
Hi @Chickenguy6373 :frow Welcome To BYC
I'm sorry to hear about you chicken.
Can you post some photos of your RIR in his current condition?
A photo of his poop would be good too.
How old is he?
What type of food/treats do you feed?
How long have you had him?

If you have vet care, that is always best.
Hopefully with more information and photos we can help you better.
In the mean time, if he is not doing well, place him where he can be warm. Put food and water within reach.
Check him really well for lice/mites, check his crop and tell us what that feels like. Note any other symptoms like difficulty breathing, mucous from the nostrils, coughing, wheezing, inability to walk, etc.
Report back to us and let us know how he is.

Ok @Wyorp Rock i had him since the start of the summer I got him at a chicken fair,he is fed on chicken feed pellets and corn and sometimes for a treat they get bread,he has diarrhea it is white and brown, green he can walk but is very slow he seems like he has no problem breathing,the person who we bought him off never really said much about him so i don’t know what age he is. I will get back with photos soon but I’m afraid vet care is out of the question as I don’t live near any

@Wyorp Rock this is a photo of its.
•Current state
• it’s Crop is empty
•poop which is diahera
14F999CF-6EF8-4DB0-94A7-237AA391D238.jpeg

0C527D1B-DB9E-4F92-AF2C-4AC045409A77.jpeg

Attachments

• 1058423B-0031-4125-A284-585D0D71EF45.jpeg
    1058423B-0031-4125-A284-585D0D71EF45.jpeg
    488.9 KB · Views: 1
Ok @Wyorp Rock i had him since the start of the summer I got him at a chicken fair,he is fed on chicken feed pellets and corn and sometimes for a treat they get bread,he has diarrhea it is white and brown, green he can walk but is very slow he seems like he has no problem breathing,the person who we bought him off never really said much about him so i don’t know what age he is. I will get back with photos soon but I’m afraid vet care is out of the question as I don’t live near any
Is this a rooster or a hen?

I would wash the rear end and get all the poop cleaned up.
Have you ever wormed your flock? Getting a fecal float to check for worms would be a good idea. If you don't have vet care, then think about worming him/her.
You can use Valbazen at a dose of 1/2ml given orally then repeat in 10 days or you can use Fenbendazole (Safeguard) at a dose of .23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

@Wyorp Rock yes they are wormed with natural remedies such as apple cidar vinegar it is a hen
Can you take a sample of poop to your vet for testing of worms?

I'm sorry, but there no natural remedies for the treatment of worms. If testing is not possible then you need to use a worming medication like Valbazen or Safeguard (Valbazen).

Since this is a hen, feel of her abdomen (under the vent, between the legs) for any bloat, swelling or fluid. Sometimes reproductive problems can be cause of symptoms you describe. When was the last time she laid an egg? Internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer and tumors are common in laying hens so that is something to consider.

@Wyorp Rock the last time she had laid an egg was around a month ago I thought it was just to do with the time of year I have had a hen who was laying an egg with no shell any idea of what this means Is the wormer for goats it’s the only one I can’t see on internet is there anyway u can send a link

Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock the hen passed away but could u still send the wormer link when it died I didn’t know what to do but it threw up a lot of water

Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock the last time she had laid an egg was around a month ago I thought it was just to do with the time of year I have had a hen who was laying an egg with no shell any idea of what this means Is the wormer for goats it’s the only one I can’t see on internet is there anyway u can send a link

@Wyorp Rock the hen passed away but could u still send the wormer link when it died I didn’t know what to do but it threw up a lot of water
Oh I'm sorry that you lost her!

Without a necropsy from your state lab or by you opening her up to examine the internal organs, body cavity, etc., it would be hard to know what caused her death.
If you think you can do a necropsy yourself, then take photos of what you see, then post them, we will try to help you.

Sometimes upon death the crop contents can be released, but she may have been suffering from a crop problem that was exacerbated by a reproductive disorder if she had not been laying eggs - but that is just speculation on my part.

Some common causes of laying soft shell eggs are vitamin/calcium/nutritional deficiency, history of respiratory disease, stress/disturbances within the flock, external parasites (lice/mites) and internal parasites (worms).

I would make sure they have a good nutritionally balanced poultry feed, offer oyster shell free choice, check them over for lice/mites and if you are concerned about worms, then de-worm the flock. Watch behaviors and evaluate your space to make sure that they are as stress free as possible.

You can use the Safeguard liquid goat wormer (Fenbendazole) that will take care of most types of worms chickens have. Dosage is .23ml per pound of weight given orally for 5 days in a row.

s-l300.jpg

Back
Top Bottom