HELP...SICK CHICKEN

goldies99

Songster
Jul 22, 2011
i just got 6 new hampshire chickens...i am guessing they are around 10-12 weeks old.....i have only had them 5 days and on the 3 day one was acting very quiet and staying by herself.....they were free ranging outside with my other chickens....that evening she was puffed all up like she was cold and was very weak...she kind of fell over when i touched her...i put her in the house in a cage alone...gave her water and food...she seems to be eating and drinking a little....but she is very still and just sits there....she squeaks a little when i pick her up to look at her....her eyes seem clear....she stands in the cage and sometimes sits down....she pooped over night....doesnt seem to be eating very much this morning....any ideas??.....thanks

she is doing about the same...standing in her cage...doesnt seem to be eating very much...still falls over a bit when i pet her...any ideas form anyone????

thanks....wow...i dont know if i can find the things i need at this short notice....(i wish i was a nurse at time like this)...

Last edited:
thanks....wow...i dont know if i can find the things i need at this short notice....(i wish i was a nurse at time like this)...

All you really need are the tube and syringe and you should be able to get those at a vet office. If you decide to try getting them, tell them that you need a size 18 french feeding tube/catheter and a 35cc catheter tip syringe. You can use lay pellets/mash and water instead of baby bird food.

i am still wondering what is wrong with her.....what made this happen???...do chickens just get sick for no reason??..i wonder if she was sick when i got her??

Last edited:
We just force feed a concoxion of water, orange juice, garlic, ginger, antibiotics and some peri peri... honestly, works great, they usually perk up a bit after some of that every couple of hours!

Last edited:
I don't know if I can help, but I had a chick that was about 12 weeks old that ate a feather. Yep...a big feather that got stuck in her crop. She kind of acted the same. She was fine one minute, then about 10 minutes after eating the feather ( which I saw her do, and couldn't get it away from her ) she got with drawn from the rest of the flock. I didn't know what was wrong with her. Wouldn't really eat much, drank a little, stayed by herself and was puffed up all the time. She was so weak from not eating that I could almost blow her over. She was sick for almost a week and was near death. I had to save her, So I did some reading and came up with crop impaction. So I got a syring and mixed olive oil and got some "save a chick" with some warm water and carefully put some down her throat so that it went into her crop. Then I gently messaged her crop to loosen the lodged feather. Within a day she was fine. It happened one other time, so I repeated the same procedure. She is now 7 mo's old and doing well.

thanks...i felt her crop....there doesnt feel like there is anything in there!!!...(.im sure because she isnt eating).....i pretty new at this sick chicken stuff...i never had a sick chicken before.... :(

thanks...i felt her crop....there doesnt feel like there is anything in there!!!...(.im sure because she isnt eating).....i pretty new at this sick chicken stuff...i never had a sick chicken before....  :(

She should be inside where it's warm and have access to a heat source. If you could get a picture of her poop, that might help in getting her the correct treatment.

Back
Top Bottom