Help! sick chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by six_eclectic_chickens, Oct 22, 2013.

1. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    Chicken has had increasing lethargy over past few days. Lost willingness to eat today. Not egg bound: can't feel an egg, and until she stopped eating she was pooping semi-solid feces. She is now standing with her wings slightly out to her side. Her eyes are usually closed. About half the time her breathing is audible and her breaths seem to be quite deep. I have her inside. I swabbed her throat for gapeworms, but found none. Please help. She is only a year and a half old, so it isn't old age. Taking her to a vet is not an option unfortunately.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Inspect her closely for lice/mites, especially the vent area. Worm her with valbazen or safeguard.

3. six_eclectic_chickens

six_eclectic_chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2011
    She doesn't have mites, I checked. Will try the medication. I'm worried I might be too late though. She looks terrible.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Did you stick a finger in her vent to check for an egg or other masses?

-Kathy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is she new to your property, or have you raised her? Do you have any coccidiosis medicine? Are there other chickens or wild birds in your area? Does she have nasal discharge or any slight swelling or discharge in the eyes?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Forgot to say that she needs to be inside where it's warm.

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by