HELP!! Sick Chickens

Hazyhens

Chirping
Jan 31, 2023
Half my flock seems to be sick overnight. A couple days ago I found one of my roosters dead in the nesting boxes I had worked the days leading up to his passing so I’m not sure what his demeanor was like. Yesterday I noticed a few chickens looking lethargic, standing hunched with droopy tails away from the rest of the chickens. One of my young roosters combs looked dark red almost purple at the tips and he was very lethargic not even getting up to stand or eat or drink. I added a dewormer that I had on hand to their water just in case. As of this morning the sick rooster from yesterday passed and now one of my hens is behaving the same way and at least half the flock just seems lethargic. One of my other roosters and my mottled Ancona hen both have floppy pale combs. What ever this is it’s taking down my chickens fast.

I'm sorry for your losses so far, hopefully the folks on here can help you save the rest of your flock. I'm not an expert but I know other will ask:

- have you added any new birds to the flock recently?
- has it been wet or have they been into a compost pile recently?

My thoughts went to coccidiosis, any new chicks that you've had to treat for that?

No new chicks but I was also kind of thinking the same thing. I planned on checking to see if any of my local feed stores were open today to get some Corid

Sorry for your loss. Can you go and check your feed for any off-odor or color that might indicate mold? Moldy feed or any found on the ground is toxic to chickens. If there has been any spraying of insecticide or weed killer in the area, or poisonous plants, that might be a problem too. If you have a body or lose another, the best thing is to keep it cold, not frozen, and take or send it to your state vet tomorrow morning for a necropsy. Here is a list of most state vet labs to call:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

How old is your flock?
What are you feeding?
Age of the feed?
How is the feed stored?
Do they free range?
Any poison around their area?
Not very old only about 6 months they all just started laying in the last month
I was feeding them the medicated starter/grower by Purina but about two weeks ago started incorporating organic scratch and peck feed
The feed is in sealed bins in our barn out of the elements and doesn’t appear to smell funny or have any mold it’s very dry
They do free range but it’s in a fenced off area with our rabbits
No poisons that I know of around us and no fertilizer exposure.

I just lost a hen, which makes that 3 deaths in less than 2 days I noticed this hen had a significant sized puddle under her beak where she died like she was drooling or something

I have tried some of the scratch and peck feeds and do not like them. Mostly it is because they have whole grains and seeds, and most chickens will pick out the tasty parts first. That may leave the additives of vitamins and minerals, and some of the less desired seeds or grains. A homogenous crumble or pellet is the best way to guarantee that your chickens are getting a balanced diet.

Do any of the birds have an enlarged crop that is firm or puffy, after they have gone all night long without food or water? Could you check that in the morning? What are their droppings looking like, especially the ones you have lost? They are a bit old for coccidiosis, but I would be tempted to treat them with Corid anyway. Are their tails down or up? Down means a sick chicken, possibly suffering from a reproductive disorder or egg binding. But this sounds like something they ate or something contagious. I would be tempted to get a new bag of feed, and check the one you have again. Are they eating it well, or avoiding it? Consider getting a necropsy if you still have a body that can be sent in.

Back
Top Bottom