HELP! SICK DUCK

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Smschiro, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Smschiro

Smschiro In the Brooder

Sep 26, 2017
    My 4 month old female mallard stopped eating. It’s been 48 hours. She still drinks water but she is very lethargic and her poop is lime green. I tried force feeding her, her pellet food, she only ate 3 pellets. I’ve made her scrambled eggs, rice, got her wet cat food and she won’t eat anything. Any advice please!! I’m afraid she will die. I know she doesn’t have any egg issues since she’s not at that stage yet. She’s an indoor duck as well and I know she didn’t eat anything poisonous Please help

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager 6 Years

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take her to a vet?

Smschiro likes this.
  3. Bridger Davis

Bridger Davis Songster

Jul 25, 2017
    Evans Colorado
    Smschiro likes this.
  4. Sara Ranch

Sara Ranch Songster

Jun 7, 2017
    Does she have indoor friends? Like other duckies to play with?

Does she have a pot of water to play in?

What does she run around on/sleep on? A tile floor? Carpet? Pine shavings? Sand?

What does she share her space with? For example, my baby ducks shared the sunroom with baby chicks and baby turkeys at one time or another.

How many minutes a day does she spend outside, breathing fresh air? (Most people with indoor duckies don't take them out at all for fresh air at 4 months.)

What are you feeding her? What is the percentage of protein? Duckie need a LOT of protein! A LOT!!! I feed my duckies fermented meat bird (22% protein) AND supplement with high protein treats. (This also gives them the additional niacin they need.)

Will you upload pics of your duckie & her space?

Smschiro likes this.
  5. Smschiro

Smschiro In the Brooder

Sep 26, 2017
    I actually figured it out. I got a bad bag of mealworms, even though they were within date and didn’t smell weird. She just started eating few hours ago and took a bath for the first time in 2 days. Thank you all!

6. Smschiro

Smschiro In the Brooder

Sep 26, 2017
    Aww yeah, she’s very spoiled, she has two other ducky friends. A large carpeted room that’s covered in plastic and sheets to themselves with water, high protein food, toys. And they go outside for many hours a day, if the weather permits. It’s in single digits now here. But they still get out and roam around and get baths a couple times a day. They also get niacin and brewers yeast.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners 8 Years

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Great news! Please keep us posted!

Smschiro likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: