Help! Sick duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gottsegnet, Apr 16, 2012.

1. gottsegnet

gottsegnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    We had tornadoes go through Saturday night and we lost power for some time. Now one of my ducklings is not acting right. She's wheezing, staying separate from the others and is lethargic. Her eyes are also only half open.

I hand fed her some yogurt, added ACV to the water and placed her under the heat lamp, but I don't know what else to do. Any ideas?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    How old is she?

I would get her into a warm (85 to 90F) tub or basin of water, just deep enough to float in, and let her clear her nares and try to enjoy herself.

You are doing good things for her.

Do you have a way to heat water?

3. gottsegnet

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    She's only a few days old. Hatched last Monday and arrived Wednesday. We've already had something (rat?) kill some so I moved them up where they should be safe but now this!

I can heat water but don't have a way to measure the temperature. Can I measure it like a baby bottle? They are already under a heat lamp, but I fear she got sick when the power went out.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Yes, like a baby bottle is good.

It is possible she has a bacterial infection, in which case antibiotics might help. Do you have any? I cannot tell you exactly how much of what to use. It might be that vitamins could help her get through it, but it's a tough call.

I need to sign off for now. . . . sending prayers your way.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  5. gottsegnet

Mar 19, 2009
    Nebraska
    Thank you for your help. Unfortunately, the little duckling didn't make it through the night but my remaining five are doing well. Hopefully they will grow up big and strong and have lots of babies so these early losses won't seem so bad. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by