HELP......! Sick Ducks

Well hopefully it was a bacteria thing and they will develop an immunity to it with age. I guess the part I'm having trouble with is thought of a toxic plant. Even with age and a healthy immune system, a toxic plant can still kill them as adults, right?

I'm trying to figure out what I want for replacement ducks. I just finished the duck house so I may as well get it up to capacity. I would like more Welshies but my only source is pretty far away. I'm sourcing out K.C.s locally.

I guess my next question would be how do I introduce them to the established flock and at what age?

thanks again.

Last edited:
It will take less of a toxic plant to kill a duckling, seems to me.

First toxic plant that came to mind that likes moist places is water hemlock. This page has some good points to make about identifying it. http://www.eattheweeds.com/ufos-2/look-alikes/elderberry-or-water-hemlock/

Younger ducks pretty much need to reach the same size as the original flock before being left together. They can be helped to integrate by keeping them side by side, separated by a fence divider. Giving treats to all at the same time helps. Once they reach the same size, supervised interactions can be the next step, intervene if and when conflict goes beyond some shoving and poking. Some flocks come together quickly, some take more time. It's up to the ducks.

Glad you're going to keep at it. I pray you will be rewarded for your conscientious care for the ducks.

I seriously doubt it's a toxic plant....my first thought when you said mosquitos was West Nile......

Clint

not to hijack the thread but i have lost 2 welsh harlequins in the last week. just all of a sudden. i am drainning my pond and going back to a kiddie pool. i cannot pinpoint anything other than the pond or mosquitos, so out it goes.

not to hijack the thread but i have lost 2 welsh harlequins in the last week. just all of a sudden. i am drainning my pond and going back to a kiddie pool. i cannot pinpoint anything other than the pond or mosquitos, so out it goes.
Is west nile a problem in your area? you maybe on to something. So sorry for your loss.

I don't know anything about West Nile in my area, but there are a lot of mosquitos in my yard.all of my chickens and ducks are vaccinated for fowl poxbut I didn't think anything about West Nile. I guess I will have to google it.

I don't know anything about West Nile in my area, but there are a lot of mosquitos in my yard.all of my chickens and ducks are vaccinated for fowl poxbut I didn't think anything about West Nile. I guess I will have to google it.
Seems I remember West Nile from last year being in AZ. Could have been another state though.

They spray here anytime the mosquito count reaches some minimum to help prevent West Nile in humans....in recent years, West Nile has been a problem for sage grouse in Montana and Wyoming. If you have mosquitos, you have West Nile.

Clint

Back
Top Bottom