circbarb

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi Everyone--

We have six hens in a large coop and enclosed run. They have all been healthy and laying great! All six are a little over a year old. We let them free-range during the day when we are home.

My problem is our Easter Egger, Stripe. She's a wonderful chicken, very energetic and curious. The last few days, however, she hasn't been herself. She's not eating much, is lethargic and seems to be having a hard time laying. The last two eggs she laid had very thin shells and were small. (We offer them plenty of calcium and feed, as well as table scraps.)

Today I looked her over and there is a long patch on her rear that has been denuded of feathers, right under her vent. Her vent does not appear to be blocked, though I did see what looked like a little crusty white poop on there.

What should I do? I saw her drinking this morning and she ate a little, but not nearly as much as the other chickens. I would appreciate any and all advice. We love all our chickens and to lose one would be a tragedy indeed--we raised each one from baby chicks! And Stripe is my son's favorite.

Thanks for the help-
Emily

So sorry about your sick girl-Maybe a warm water "butt soak" and add some electrolytes or one of the natural remedies like Apple Cider Vinegar or yogurt...

Back
Top Bottom