Help! Sick Hen! Vomiting clear liquid, loose stools, lethargy, pale comb. Is drinking...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by almost a farm chic, Jul 31, 2013.

1. almost a farm chic

almost a farm chic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Oregon
    We have had wierd poops in our run for the past week. I had inspected all my hens and found a red mite, just one tiny mite, on one of my hens. I went out to dust all the hens with DE and noticed one hen was very lethargic. I picked her up to dust her and she vomited a clear liquid. Pale comb. Loose, runny, mustard, and dark orange poops. Mostly very runny. She is camped out by the waterer and was taking sips. I cleaned out the hen house, scrubbed it, put down fresh shavings and some DE in the bedding. Scrubbed all waterers and refilled adding a clove of garlic to each waterer as I read that can help give chickens a "boost". Also put a litte ACV in another waterer. Any ideas on what this could be? Sick from mites??? I only saw one mite after inspecting 8 chickens.Help greatly appreciated as I'm worried this girl doesn't have much time. :(

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It is posssible for a chicken to vomit just because of being picked up, especially if whe is not used to it. and especialy because she has been drinking a lot of water which they often will do when the weather is very hot. They can also have some watery poops from drinking a lot of water due to heat stress.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by