Help, sick hen!!!

tinaberry

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 12, 2013
Alabama
This is Dora, as you can see her eyes are clouded. I've been watching her today she is eating and drinking. She wobbles and walks very slow, she is just not acting like herself. I'm not sure of her age, we have had her for about 4 mos. she has not laid any eggs this past week. I'm concerned about her health. Can anyone help. I'm new to chiickens she is one of our first. Thanks for any help. Tina.

Have you checked if she is egg bound? I would check this if she has not been laying any eggs!
Sorrry i cant help more! I hope she gets better soon!

what about her muck? Is she runny? Has she worms? You might want to check her for mites or lice! I had one like this, she had lice but unfortunatly i think i left it too long! maybe try her for these things! i hope you find whats wrong! Is she eating or drinking?!
I would maybe isolate her just ncase its infectious (not that it is- just a precaution i make!)

Last edited:
She's eating and drinking. No mucus. Have thought about worms but wasn't sure if I should worm her at this point. She is in a run with 11 others and they show no signs. All others appear healthy and normal.

She died sometime during the night. I now have to tell my 6 yo granddaughter as this was her hen. I'm going to watch the others to make sure none of them get sick. I wish I knew what happened. She got sick a of a sudden. Stopped laying and the next thing I know she is dead. Yesterday she was still eating and drinking. I'm new at this but I've been researching and can find nothing that gives me any indication as to what happened to her.

I'm very sorry for your loss- it is always sad when you lose a pet! Maybe your vet could give you a necropsy? It might be expensive, it depends how much you want to know!!! Hens can die for many reasons and a lot of the time we never find out why! :(

Back
Top Bottom