Help, sick hen!

scangel86

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 17, 2012
We have five laying hens who were all fine last night. Overnight temps reached zero and this morning one of my chickens was laying on her side with her eyes closed and breathing shallowly through her mouth. We took her inside and warmed her up but she will not open her eyes nor will she stand on her own and she has vomited a little and still breathing very shallowly through her mouth. Is there anything I can do for her??

I already called the one vet in our area who sees chickens and described the situation and he told me a couple things to try but that there was not much that could be done. I was just hoping for any other ideas I could try.

Last edited:
Not that we've noticed until today. Her breast felt swollen today but that's new as well. The vet thinks it was exposure.

Really? Wow, mine handle the cold very well but they are accustomed to the cold... -30C gets to them though but it never left any of mine in that condition. I wonder if the Swelling in the chest is fluid buildup, the fluid will be pushing on her lungs and other organs that's why she's doing so poorly... I know people drain fluid from their birds but I sure can help you further than that... Good luck.

She passed away.
sad.png

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your girl.

I would assume she got into something harmful, toxic, or poisonous... For it to be so sudden like that, there had to be a catalyst. And she was acting perfectly normal the day before? Chickens can handle sub-zero temps very well (minus frostbite on toes and combs), so I doubt it was the cold that got her.

Did she have access to an area with shiny metal objects, anything that's painted, or any place you keep pesticides/herbicides/pest poisons?

Did you see her convulse at any point? Did you check her for wounds (snake bite, spider bite, injuries, etc)? What kind of substance did she vomit - water, foam, food? Did she do that on her own, or were you helping her regurgitate?

I would keep an eye on your other chickens' behavior and check the area where you keep them for any potential environmental toxins, INCLUDING PLANTS. There are some backyard plants that can be VERY toxic to chickens if they have access.

It may be a good idea, as @hennible suggested, to get a necropsy if you can, or perform your own (I would especially check her gizzard and stomach to see what she ate). When a chicken passes mysteriously and suddenly, it is ALWAYS a good idea to identify the cause if possible.

I am grieved for you. I hope this is an isolated incident and your remaining flock is unaffected.

MrsB

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom