Help sick little piggy

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
We got our little piggy's last week. They were 7 weeks old so they are still quite small. Well, ever since then we've had awful weather. Snow, rain, constant wind, sun. It's just been awful.

I've been really worried about them getting too cold now that they don't have a bunch of little warm pigs to snuggle with. Anyway, now one of them has a cough and the runs. They aren't on medicated feed anymore because my DH didn't buy that kind.

I tried to convience him to put a heat lamp in with them for several nights but finally today he agreed. Anyway, I don't know what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

We had one get pneumonia that way. Might want some antibiotics?
idunno.gif

I would definately say its time to call in a vet. Pneumonia will take your little pig in a hurry. Nothing to mess around with there. Those little piggies needed to be in a warm dry place from the beginning. Im sorry one is sick, and I hope you can get it to the vet.

I agree you need a vet.

P.S. Don't kick yourself over this either. There is something here to learn for next time you decide to raise a pig. Livestock is a huge repsonsibility and you do have to follow your gut instinct. Next time put out a heat lamp anyway.

Well, we can't afford a vet. We are going to go down to Colorado Animal Health and see if we can get some antibiotics for her. We'll just give her the injection or whatever ourselves.

I guess if you are going to learn to do this stuff, you better really learn to do it yourself.

DH is really worried about his little girls. It's pretty cute to watch. Sad that one is sick though.

We went to the Animal health place and got some penicillin and some Hog drench stuff with vitamins and such. The guy there said there's been a lot of sick pigs the last few days. I guess the weather has been hard on them. The wind has just been horrible here. He said we should see improvement in a day or so. Both pigs are sick now so hopefully we caught it in time

Well, things are looking up in pigville. They seem to have a lot more energy and are eating and drinking good. They still have the runs pretty bad though. I've given them some winter squash hoping that would help them. Seems to maybe have helped a little, but I'll be happier when they are all the way back to normal. Lucky for us, the weather has been nice for 2 days. Warm and no wind. Tomorrow is supposed to be just as nice, but then it's supposed to snow on Wednesday again. I just wish the weather would stay warm for the animials sake. This constant change is not good for them.

I am sorry to hear about your piggies. It sounds like you did the right thing and followed your gut feeling. Hopefully you have caught it and they are on the mend. Please let us know how they progress.

We too are enjoying the warm weather today and tomorrow and not looking forward to Wednesday. It should be warm again by the weekend!

Back
Top Bottom