Help! Sick new peacock

PeacockPlease

Hatching
Apr 26, 2024
Hey, So we have just picked up a new peacock, he’s just under a year and I suspect he has blackhead. He lived with chickens at his old place though all the other peacocks there looked bright and healthy. He seemed a bit droopy and tired when I picked him up but he was getting picked on by the others so I thought that could’ve been why he was acting tired. But this morning He seemed the same so I’m thinking blackhead. He’s just under a year. Lethargic, slow, droopy wings, eating little… I’m very very worried about him. I’m ordering metronidazole for him though it will take a while to ship and I’ve heard they can die from blackhead within days… I’ve driven around all day going from store to store, called vets, even big animal vets and it seems no one has any on them. Even big animal vets. I have General Cure fish meds on hand, which is 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquante per packet and was wondering if I could give him this. I’m just afraid he’ll die before the pure metronidazole will be delivered… I don’t know what to do! Maybe it’s just worms that’s making him feels tired and unwell? I’m just scared and want to help him… thanks in advance!

I forgot to mention I did pick up dewormer for him, but I’m worried about using it now as I’m not sure if it’ll mess with antibiotics… I do have SMZ on hand as well if that would help treat him... I just want him to be okay! I don’t want to give him something until I know what’s best. We don’t have any exotic vets near either so I’m just at a loss

Update: I’ve checked him very thoroughly for mites and lice and didn’t see any thing at all. He did react to me more today than the first day we had him. That said he’s still slow, droopy wings, ruffled feathers, extra tired this morning. And he is thin… He did come out of the coop on his own this morning. we’ll start him on Safegaurd and see how it does for him.

Here are some photos of him from this morning

Attachments

• 0B456684-D756-430D-A002-EF6C7D8A7FE8.jpeg
    0B456684-D756-430D-A002-EF6C7D8A7FE8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • D60143F5-6FAE-4628-9EF1-16B4F5343F0C.jpeg
    D60143F5-6FAE-4628-9EF1-16B4F5343F0C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hey, So we have just picked up a new peacock, he’s just under a year and I suspect he has blackhead. He lived with chickens at his old place though all the other peacocks there looked bright and healthy. He seemed a bit droopy and tired when I picked him up but he was getting picked on by the others so I thought that could’ve been why he was acting tired. But this morning He seemed the same so I’m thinking blackhead. He’s just under a year. Lethargic, slow, droopy wings, eating little… I’m very very worried about him. I’m ordering metronidazole for him though it will take a while to ship and I’ve heard they can die from blackhead within days… I’ve driven around all day going from store to store, called vets, even big animal vets and it seems no one has any on them. Even big animal vets. I have General Cure fish meds on hand, which is 250 mg Metronidazole and 75 mg Praziquante per packet and was wondering if I could give him this. I’m just afraid he’ll die before the pure metronidazole will be delivered… I don’t know what to do! Maybe it’s just worms that’s making him feels tired and unwell? I’m just scared and want to help him… thanks in advance!
@KsKingBee knows all there is to know about peafowl.
Pictures of your boy?

Here are a few. I will go grab so more photos of him now and check and see how he’s doing.

Attachments

• D0884CFD-B91C-46A4-B845-E435B096687E.jpeg
    D0884CFD-B91C-46A4-B845-E435B096687E.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 8995EC7A-2A9A-4D91-80ED-2DE44D3B9C72.jpeg
    8995EC7A-2A9A-4D91-80ED-2DE44D3B9C72.jpeg
    689.8 KB · Views: 13

Attachments

• AF78DAC1-5592-442B-A7C2-68655ABD2BF0.jpeg
    AF78DAC1-5592-442B-A7C2-68655ABD2BF0.jpeg
    785.1 KB · Views: 12
I doubt that the problem is blackhead or cocci although something is bugging him. My first check would be to rifle through his feathers and see if he has a lice load. Second look for feather mites. Give him 3.0 ml of Safeguard orally for five days in a row, skip ten days and give again for another five days to clear up any worm load he may have. It could also be the onset of a sinus infection but look for the bugs first, deworm, and see how he responds.

If you find a load of lice or feather mites apply 0.40 of Ivermec pour-on for cattle to the skin divided on his back and under his wings on his side. Also put a small drop behind his crest for face lice which are very hard to see unless you look for them drinking from his eyes. The pour-on will also help rid him of internal parasites as well but should not be relied on as the only dewormer.

I doubt that the problem is blackhead or cocci although something is bugging him. My first check would be to rifle through his feathers and see if he has a lice load. Second look for feather mites. Give him 3.0 ml of Safeguard orally for five days in a row, skip ten days and give again for another five days to clear up any worm load he may have. It could also be the onset of a sinus infection but look for the bugs first, deworm, and see how he responds.
Thank you! I’ll do just that. I’ll check him thoroughly for bugs this morning and pick up some safeguard for him today. I hope he starts to feel better with it. We love the little dude so much already and want him better. Thanks again

If you find a load of lice or feather mites apply 0.40 of Ivermec pour-on for cattle to the skin divided on his back and under his wings on his side. Also put a small drop behind his crest for face lice which are very hard to see unless you look for them drinking from his eyes. The pour-on will also help rid him of internal parasites as well but should not be relied on as the only dewormer.
Perfect we have lots of that on hand so that will be very easy if I do find mites or lice. I’ll check his eyes and face thoroughly, I don’t want to miss anything. Thank you!

Thank you! I’ll do just that. I’ll check him thoroughly for bugs this morning and pick up some safeguard for him today. I hope he starts to feel better with it. We love the little dude so much already and want him better. Thanks again
Oh, yes, 'little guy'. He is a yearling so adjust the dosage to 2.0ml of safeguard. 3.0ml is for mature cocks. Three won't hurt him, it is just unnecessary and over the recommend dosage.

Oh, yes, 'little guy'. He is a yearling so adjust the dosage to 2.0ml of safeguard. 3.0ml is for mature cocks. Three won't hurt him, it is just unnecessary and over the recommend dosage.

I forgot to mention I did pick up dewormer for him, but I’m worried about using it now as I’m not sure if it’ll mess with antibiotics… I do have SMZ on hand as well if that would help treat him... I just want him to be okay! I don’t want to give him something until I know what’s best. We don’t have any exotic vets near either so I’m just at a loss

Update: I’ve checked him very thoroughly for mites and lice and didn’t see any thing at all. He did react to me more today than the first day we had him. That said he’s still slow, droopy wings, ruffled feathers, extra tired this morning. And he is thin… He did come out of the coop on his own this morning. we’ll start him on Safegaurd and see how it does for him.

Here are some photos of him from this morning
Update: he passed away last night. Absolutely heartbreaking. Thanks everyone for the help. Didn’t know him long but he was loved by us.

Back
Top Bottom