Help !!!! Sick Off balance silkie

silk kristel

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
Burrum heads qld
Please help my 1 y I hen is very unwell althought happy chatty and alert. She will fall to one Side, walk very stilted and with her bum in the air as if she is going to fall forward. She has been on antibiotics for 7 days and I'm about to start some vitamins for a week.
Any ideas what could be wrong with her. So grateful for any help

has she had any head injuries? Sounds like Silkie syndrome - I've never heard of using antibiotics for it. You could post her symptoms at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread and also on the "Silkie thread " - put in search box and it will pop up. A photo or two showing how she is would help them a lot.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have heard of this too in Silkies. Antibiotics are not what she needs. Vitamins do wonders for this sort of thing. And trim the hair out of the eyes. Many times they get malnourished because they can't see well enough to eat or drink. So order some good poultry vitamins with plenty of Vit. B, E and selenium in it.

However definitly post in our emergency section too for more input. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

And you might also as Drumstick Diva suggested. post in the Silkie thread too. Those Silkie owners know lots about this breed...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread

Good luck with your baby. I hope you can get her back to good health soon.

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry to hear about your Silkie! X2 on TwoCrow's advice.

I hope she gets better!

Last edited:
Thankyou all so very much. I have followed your advise and have put this on the emergency ect forum.
Also in regards to your questions. There has been no mark abrasions ect on her head. She has absolutely no marking lumps bumps anywhere to the eye or by feel.
Thankyou for such a welcoming and helpful response :)

Back
Top Bottom