Help sick peahen !

Kim Bush

Hatching
Oct 14, 2021
I went out to feed today and a new 4 yr old peahen just fell over can any body help I know nothing about peacocks!! I bought her Sept 25 so I don't know much about her. Yesturday she looked ok, her poop has been I guess normal not runny or no mucous on her beak. I watched her for awhile and she isn't eating and seems ill!! I have been feeding her high protein game bird and scratch.

Has she been eating well up until today? Is she drinking? Are you able to bring her inside to somewhere warm and check her over a bit more and weigh her etc? Do you have a vet or are you hoping to treat her yourself? If yourself, you should probably start researching how to tube fluids and crop feed. You'll need to try to find out what's wrong with her but in the meantime, she'll only have a chance if you make sure to keep her hydrated.

I'd be contacting the people you bought her from if I were you. Maybe they can help? Sept 25 isn't that long ago. What was her condition when you got her? Did you see the setup where she came from? Do you have other peafowl and, if so, did they come from the same place?

Sorry I'm not much help as I'm still learning as well but maybe more details will help some of the experts on here to help you.

Has she been eating well up until today? Is she drinking? Are you able to bring her inside to somewhere warm and check her over a bit more and weigh her etc? Do you have a vet or are you hoping to treat her yourself? If yourself, you should probably start researching how to tube fluids and crop feed. You'll need to try to find out what's wrong with her but in the meantime, she'll only have a chance if you make sure to keep her hydrated.

I'd be contacting the people you bought her from if I were you. Maybe they can help? Sept 25 isn't that long ago. What was her condition when you got her? Did you see the setup where she came from? Do you have other peafowl and, if so, did they come from the same place?

Sorry I'm not much help as I'm still learning as well but maybe more details will help some of the experts on here to help you.
Yes she has been eat fine, no I can't bring her in for weight but I just gave her meds for coccidiosis and B12. She isn't getting up now when I went out to give her meds but I took some bread and grapes which she ate alittle of. I know nothing of her back ground as we bought her from a flea market 😭 I know this is bad but my husband loves peacock and he is stage 4 cancer and so we bought her for him to look at and he is just crying. I know she is going to die!! No we don't have a vets around here that would even see poultry.

I'm so sorry. That's very sad to hear and it must be so difficult for you.

I'm definitely not the best person to advise. I've had peafowl for 5 years but I've never had any health issues with them until this year so I'm really a beginner with these things. I do know for sure that the best thing you could do to keep her going until someone more knowledgeable can answer is to keep her warm and hydrated. Did you have a chance to look into the tubing? There is so much information on here about it. Look for posts by @casportpony.

Back
Top Bottom