HELP Silkie people....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dixieangeln, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Dixieangeln

Dixieangeln Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    Are silkies suppose to have "normal" feathers on the tips of their wings? Or is the whole wing suppose to be fluffy? So for such a stupied question but Ive been searching the internet and cannot find a exact answer... I see pics of some with regular feathers on the wings and some without.. is it acceptable for show? Thanks for any help!![​IMG]

2. SilkiePuff

SilkiePuff Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    no.. the feathers are suppose to look torn and raggy, if they are solid with no rips and such then its a fault.. so yes and no..but they look really bad, thats normal..

3. geosheets

geosheets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Ohio
    Their primary feathers will look more like a normal feather but the ends should be well shredded.

4. Dixieangeln

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    what are the primary feathers???[​IMG]

5. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    the first feathers on the wing. some people use a brush to make them look more shreded before they show

6. Dixieangeln

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    Thanks! Any chance anyone can post a good feathered wing, and a bad feathered wing of a silkie??

7. lynxs1981

lynxs1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    This is one of my silkie roo's wing fanned out. He has a little bit more hard feathering than some would like, but this is a normal silkie wing.
    [​IMG]

8. Dixieangeln

Sep 20, 2010
    NC/VA line
    oh ok, so they are allowed to have some normal feathers then?? That is exactly the feathers I was talking about [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by