HELP!!! SILKIES TOE IS SWOLLEN

Have you tried soaking the foot in an Epsom salt solution? That usually helps get infection and swelling out of the problem area. I would do it a couple times a day till you see the swelling diminish.

My chickens toe swelled up and is now folding under her foot! Any ideas on what it is and how to treat it??

I’m not really sure, I got them from a breeder and immediately noticed when she got here that her toe was swollen and it had folded under her foot. Nothing was wrong prior to shipping, I was shown the feet. I disinfected the toe and put it in a splint but I have no idea what’s causing this and want to treat it properly. Idk if it’s an infection, if the feathers are causing it or if it’s broken
How long have you had her?
The photos, is that the top of the feet or bottoms?

Yes, I think there may be some infection there. Could be ingrown feathers and/or feather cysts. Let's see what @Eggcessive thinks.

I don't have Silkies, but find their feet to be hard to figure out:hmm Just more curious on this one photo, is the toenail growing the wrong direction or is it just the way the feet is being held?
Second photo - is that the "top" of the toe? To me, I'm thinking feathers are impacted under that skin, but could be wrong. Likely a genetic issue.
I don't see how all that could happen during shipping are you sure you got the bird the breeder sent you photos of? Sorry, just saying...
upload_2018-11-2_13-2-35.png

upload_2018-11-2_13-4-2.png

Back
Top Bottom