Help !! Smelly chicken wound!!

Laddu

Songster
May 1, 2021
India
IMG20220909213305.jpg
a dog bite my chicken
The wound is pretty big ..
I clean it with chlorhexidine solution n apply neosporin cream twice daily but one the wounded area has turned something like blue or purple can't exactly say what color but it has foul smell .. and there's no pus or anything ..
Please help what should I

If there is blood supply to it then it can heal. I cannot tell from the pictures if that's the case. Also depends on how much damage is done by infection and if tissue dies off. If it dies it will turn black. I would keep it clean, covered in ointment, and continue the antibiotics, and observe. Let the medication have a bit of time to work. Even very severe wounds can heal, but the infection is what needs to be dealt with first.

If there is blood supply to it then it can heal. I cannot tell from the pictures if that's the case. Also depends on how much damage is done by infection and if tissue dies off. If it dies it will turn black. I would keep it clean, covered in ointment, and continue the antibiotics, and observe. Let the medication have a bit of time to work. Even very severe wounds can heal, but the infection is what needs to be dealt with first.
I agree.

Hard to see well just from a picture. Gently flushing the wound with chlorhexidene and water or saline can be helpful to treating infection and promote healing. Place towels around her, so you don’t get her all wet and cold all over. Where skin is not covering the wound, it will take some time for the wound to granulate in. I wish you luck in treating your chicken.

Continue to clean with chlorhexidine twice a day and use the Neosporin. Make sure she doesn't get any dirt or poop into the wound and keep using the antibiotics

If there is a foul smell then it's likely infected. You will need an antibiotic. I don't know what resources you have there, but amoxicillin or penicillin would be good, or even cephalexin. The longer it goes untreated the less likely recovery becomes, it could become septic.

For finding antibiotics you can buy the fish antibiotics called I think fish Mox and that would be amoxicillin

If there is a foul smell then it's likely infected. You will need an antibiotic. I don't know what resources you have there, but amoxicillin or penicillin would be good, or even cephalexin. The longer it goes untreated the less likely recovery becomes, it could become septic.
I give her an antibiotic name conflox and yesterday I found it smelly n today I applied neosporin n clean it too but not before ...
Dog bite her on 5sept 2022

OK, that contains enrofloxacin. What dose are you giving? It's usually give for 5 days, so you may not see improvement immediately, takes time for the medication to get in there and work.

Back
Top Bottom