Help :(. Snapping turtle injuries.

Ok I will speak with him about that antibiotic. And I'll try to find that product. Things are different here in Canada and getting some of these antibiotic products is a whole process. Even vetericyn is hard to find...

Do you recommend I use salt to flush only and then just a regular bath full of just water?
Yes the salt solution is just for flushing and swabbing a wound.

The liquid skin should be easy to find -- its available in the UK over the counter. I suspect your regulations are more in line with the UK than with ours in the USA.

Once the wound is cleand and sprayed with vetericyn, spray with liquied skin and you wont need to keep spraying with vetericyn.

You can order enrofloxicin online here.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

The dosage is 0.05ml per lb twice a day for 5-7 days.

I would recommend using bacitracin on the wound to help prevent an infection. I would recommend it over vetericyn, because it won't really do anything against an infection. You can also use hydrocortisone ointment to help with inflammation as well. Both of these are likely in your medicine cabinet.

A sling may also help your duck take wait off it's leg. Here is a thread showing how to make one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-sling-a-ducks-leg.1450307/

Yes the salt solution is just for flushing and swabbing a wound.

The liquid skin should be easy to find -- its available in the UK over the counter. I suspect your regulations are more in line with the UK than with ours in the USA.

Once the wound is cleand and sprayed with vetericyn, spray with liquied skin and you wont need to keep spraying with vetericyn.
What are your thoughts on this product?
https://www.amazon.ca/Leucillin-Ant...ocphy=9061025&hvtargid=pla-452859143926&psc=1

It is the same active ingredient as the vetericyn. My old vet was a jerk, but I do agree with him that it doesn't actually treat an infection. It can help clean and may help prevent an infection. I am sure I am going to be a bit controversial saying that, but I have never found it to really do anything. But if it is infected, you need something that will help treat it. Bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment is honestly what I would recommend. You more likely recognize it as Neosporin. The ointment will also keep the antibiotic on the tissue so it can help treat the infection. While a spray can easily wipe off. The longer it lasts on the skin the better chances it has to treat the issue.

It is the same active ingredient as the vetericyn. My old vet was a jerk, but I do agree with him that it doesn't actually treat an infection. It can help clean and may help prevent an infection. I am sure I am going to be a bit controversial saying that, but I have never found it to really do anything. But if it is infected, you need something that will help treat it. Bacitracin or triple antibiotic ointment is honestly what I would recommend. You more likely recognize it as Neosporin. The ointment will also keep the antibiotic on the tissue so it can help treat the infection. While a spray can easily wipe off. The longer it lasts on the skin the better chances it has to treat the issue.
If you use Neosporin make sure it's the plain kind

You can order enrofloxicin online here.
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/enrofloxacin-10

The dosage is 0.05ml per lb twice a day for 5-7 days.

I would recommend using bacitracin on the wound to help prevent an infection. I would recommend it over vetericyn, because it won't really do anything against an infection. You can also use hydrocortisone ointment to help with inflammation as well. Both of these are likely in your medicine cabinet.

A sling may also help your duck take wait off it's leg. Here is a thread showing how to make one.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-sling-a-ducks-leg.1450307/

:goodpost:

I don't think you should use an antibiotic ointment at this stage. Antibiotic ointment is useful for superficial wounds. Your duck needs enrofloxin orally if you use antibiotic as the worry is about deep infection getting to a broken bone

However, if you are persuaded by others to use an antibiotic ointment, use a triple antibiotic ointment not a single antibiotic, to reduce the risk of bacterial resistance.

I keep triple antibiotic ointment in my ducky first aid kit for superficial skin infections:
bacitracin, neomycin, polymyxin B

In the USA, there are other antibiotic ointment combinations available.

Back
Top Bottom