Help something is wrong. (Blood)

Jodeekep

Chirping
May 2, 2023
Monday I was dealing with pasty butt with a few of them. The last 2 days I’ve been checking and everything been good. Went to check on the chicks and I found one sitting by herself when I saw something hangout out of her butt so I just wiped it and a string came out and it was bloody. I’ve never scrubbed my hands so hard in my life. The poop hasn’t been off so I don’t know what’s going on with her.

Attachments

• IMG_7152.jpeg
    IMG_7152.jpeg
    413 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7151.jpeg
    IMG_7151.jpeg
    463.1 KB · Views: 6
More details please.

What feed are you using? Is it medicated?
Exact age of chicks?
Where did you get them?
Are they brooded inside or outside?
What is the brooder bedding?
Have they been in contact with the ground?
Are you adding anything to the water?
Do you have other chickens (ones not in the brooder)?

More details please.

What feed are you using? Is it medicated?
Exact age of chicks?
Where did you get them?
Are they brooded inside or outside?
What is the brooder bedding?
Have they been in contact with the ground?
Are you adding anything to the water?
I’m using medicated feed , tomorrow I was going to go with non medicated
They are 2 weeks
Rural king
They are inside for now
I’ve been using pine bedding
They have not been in contact with the ground
I’m been adding Electrolytes

The medication in medicated feed is a thiamin blocker Amprolium which reduces the ability of the coccidia to survive. It isn't a medication like an antibiotic would be considered. It is fine to continue using it.

To me the bloody "string" looks like an intestinal lining shed. Shedding lining is normal. Isolating and acting lethargic aren't.

Corid is safe and found at most feed stores. I would get some and start treatment for possible coccidiosis, since that looks fairly bloody. It is a bit common a little later, but it may be best to treat now. Corid dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Do not give vitamins (especially thiamine) while on Corid. Change water each day.

Back
Top Bottom