help!! something really strange is going on

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by guyg, Dec 8, 2016.

1. guyg

guyg Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2016
    Hi
    6 months ago i hatched 2 barred rocks... Which i was certain to be a male and female ..it was pretty clear to me.....not anymore... The one i thought to be cock is appearing to think he is a she... He will oftenlly go to sit where all my hens are laying eggs and will sit there for a while... Problem is im never around for the moment he get up to see if theres an egg...(there are eggs but no way to know who laid it)
    Now ill post fotos of the pair so u guys can help me and tell me of im wrong about him or her
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

For me the first foto is the male (who acts like a hen)
    2Nd foto is the female

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think they are both female. The comb and wattles are pretty big on the first one but I don’t see any sharp feathers in the saddle and hackles. The legs look small and thin. The tail looks straight, no curved feathers but that is a bad angle to see that. The general body shape looks female. Everything at six months looks female except the size of the comb and wattles and some hens have really big combs and wattles.

Some males are hen-feathered and some cockerels and roosters will sit with the hens on the nest but both of these are really really rare. Some females can have some male appearance. For my money, that first is a female.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the best of photos, but this is a 6 month old rooster, yours are hens.

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Yup, both girls. Congrats!

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    Both are pullets. I had a similar problem: One of my two BRs a few years ago was acting exactly like a rooster and maturing that way too. Then, I saw "him" lay an egg. Must be something about that breed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by