HELP! Sour crop 2w old chick

Apr 13, 2020
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
We have some 2w old chicks and one has an extremely large crop, feels like a big water balloon. She’s been like this for about 3 days now, this morning appearing slightly lethargic. She is still pooping regularly to my knowledge. Crop full in the morning. Still eating and drinking.
I’m thinking it’s sour crop but I’ve never dealt with this with chicks this young.
How can I help her?
914DD5B8-04A0-4B3F-9FBF-3A5F5C833F8F.jpeg

We have some 2w old chicks and one has an extremely large crop, feels like a big water balloon. She’s been like this for about 3 days now, this morning appearing slightly lethargic. She is still pooping regularly to my knowledge. Crop full in the morning. Still eating and drinking.
I’m thinking it’s sour crop but I’ve never dealt with this with chicks this young.
How can I help her?View attachment 2714130
Hey, there! I see this post is from a few weeks ago so I'm not sure if this will help you. I'm currently dealing with this exact situation and thought I'd share the method I've been following as it appears to be working:

https://oakabode.com/sour-crop-home-treatment-instructions/

This morning (she's been ill for about 4-5 days) her crop was almost completely emptied. I haven't been following the timelines too strictly since I don't want her to go too long without eating. But you basically starve out the yeast by feeding garlic water, greek yogurt, and scrambled eggs cooked with olive oil.

I've found that I don't need to use a syringe and that if I pretend my hand is another bird eating that it will mimic me.

Before her crop turned sour I was giving her olive oil and massaging her crop downward to clear the blockage. Now, I'm just using this treatment and giving her an occasional massage.

Well... this is slightly awkward considering my previous post... but in case anyone was curious...
I tried integrating her back with the other chicks, but she ate for hours straight without stop (not exaggerating)... Her crop was larger than that of a full grown hen, and I was genuinely concerned that she would actually explode. It didn't get any better, didn't go down at all overnight, and she was struggling so much that I think it may have been putting pressure on some of her other organs. She was obviously in a lot of pain, so I called my vet last night, and we brought her in this morning to be put down. There was no suffering and she was under anesthesia so dont worry about that.

RIP Stormy

Well... this is slightly awkward considering my previous post... but in case anyone was curious...
I tried integrating her back with the other chicks, but she ate for hours straight without stop (not exaggerating)... Her crop was larger than that of a full grown hen, and I was genuinely concerned that she would actually explode. It didn't get any better, didn't go down at all overnight, and she was struggling so much that I think it may have been putting pressure on some of her other organs. She was obviously in a lot of pain, so I called my vet last night, and we brought her in this morning to be put down. There was no suffering and she was under anesthesia so dont worry about that.

RIP Stormy
I’m very sorry for your loss 😞

Remove feed immediately so she’s not peking at it and putting more feed into her crop. What’s happened is there is a yeast infection in her crop and giver her feed is just fueling the infection. An easy way to “starve the infection without starving your chick” is to give her yogurt. If she won’t eat it, stir tiny bits of feed into it. Yogurt will kill the yeast infection. Another thing you can do is put garlic in her water. Garlic is just great all around for chickens and some in her water is just a great way to keep her healthy during this difficult time. I’ll pin a video to this going step by step how to cure sour crop

Remove feed immediately so she’s not peking at it and putting more feed into her crop. What’s happened is there is a yeast infection in her crop and giver her feed is just fueling the infection. An easy way to “starve the infection without starving your chick” is to give her yogurt. If she won’t eat it, stir tiny bits of feed into it. Yogurt will kill the yeast infection. Another thing you can do is put garlic in her water. Garlic is just great all around for chickens and some in her water is just a great way to keep her healthy during this difficult time. I’ll pin a video to this going step by step how to cure sour crop
Do you need help?! You are posting on every crop thread there is.

Hmmm....you have a thread today asking for HELP/How to treat Sour crop? 🤔🤔
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/does-anybody-know-how-to-cure-sour-crop.1485517/

Thanks, unfortunately she did not make it.

Back
Top Bottom