*Help* Staggered Hatch with Broody Hens

Nhorn

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2022
Hi! I have a Brooder box with two Broody Hens, one is sitting on about 12 eggs, two Chicks hatched early yesterday morning (Friday 1st) so it's been over 24 hours since the last Hatch and I noticed a rotten smell coming from the Brooder a little while ago today (Sat 2nd at 11:45am). What should I do?

I thought she would push the rotten egg/ eggs aside but she has them all well covered.

This is the first time I've let the girls hatch for me as I usually incubate the eggs so I'm at a loss what to do! Please help!! Thanks in advance!

Staggered hatches often don't turn out well. You may need to shag the hens off the nest and remove bad eggs.

How staggered? Most hens will abandon the nest about 24-48 hours after the first hatch. Some may remain on it longer if food and water are within reach, or if you pull chicks as they hatch.

Some hens will abandon a nest with bad eggs.

Staggered hatches often don't turn out well. You may need to shag the hens off the nest and remove bad eggs.

How staggered? Most hens will abandon the nest about 24-48 hours after the first hatch. Some may remain on it longer if food and water are within reach, or if you pull chicks as they hatch.

Some hens will abandon a nest with bad eggs.
Thank you so much for your reply and help! We decided that if there are no more chicks hatched by tomorrow, we will move the Mom and 2 Chicks to a new brooder and bin the rest of the eggs. I already cleaned out a broken egg and added new shavings but the smell is strong.. There haven't been any more hatched as of now 11pm.

I truly appreciate you taking the time to write!!

That sounds like a good plan. Those bad eggs sure do smell. Handle any remaining ones with care.

Back
Top Bottom