Help Stockholm syndromes!!

Jun 8, 2020
Rio Linda, California
I’m really confused. My RI were soo stressed out with Happy the Rooster around so I separated him from the flock a week ago. I have him free ranging while the girls have been in the run. I have had the 12 week old pullets with the 17 week old integrating them. So today I thought I would lock Happy in the smaller transition pen, and let all the girls free range...The RI girls heard Happy making a fuss when I scooped him up and freaked out flapping flying all around thinking he was coming after them.. I think?? Then ran out of the run... I put Happy in the pen Upset pacing making a ruckus.. then the girls came running back in all gathered around Happy up against the fence dug themselves a littLe dugout And Happy too on the other side of the wire, and all cuddled together through the fence??? 🤷‍♀️ They don’t want to go out and free range??

They don’t want to be near him when he wants too, but can’t be without him either? My granddaughter and I started laughing...She said Stockholm syndrome!! 😆. Anyone here want to help me understand what is happening. I’m so new but this really confused me. The girls won’t leave his side!! LOL. Experts please please fill me in what’s going on. 😊

Your birds are maturing. :lol:

Young cockerel get sexually active sooner than the pullets, so it makes cockerel a pain to the pullets, so they run from him.

The instinct is for the flock to stay together, especially when younger, so they seek him out.

After a few days the pullets should start to move off more without Happy as they get used to the new situation.

Awesome. Thank so much. I went back out there and the 12 weekers were cuddled up to the fence where he was. The RI had wandered off to the shaded area. The RI and Happy all grew up together. So this makes sense. I had to separate him because he was way too loving on the 3 RI stressing them out since there was only 3. And then started to share his love with the 12 weekers. So until all 7 hens are laying eggs he’s on timeout 😎. Then hoping 7 hens will be enough for him until we get more 🤞🙏🏼 And we will get more. I’m so enjoying these critters. 😘

I often remove those trouble making cockerel for a while too. They do fine, and I don't have to put up with all their shenanigans.

Back
Top Bottom