HELP!!!! The chooks have mites! Can someone tell me the FULL process?

ChickenWisperer

Songster
11 Years
Jun 30, 2008
KY
Okay, so its definate. The girls have mites. I saw them crawl on me before, but thought maybe they were termites or some other bug just outside, you know? Well, not so much
sad.png

The symptoms:
-Runny nose
-Sneezing
-Loss of "flight" feathers on back right before tail; Down is still visible
-Funny, and very smelly poo (either very dark or orange-y)

No lethargy or loss of appetite that I can see yet.

I know to completely wipe down the entire coop with a common houshold disenfectant, and then use some "orange dust". I keep the extra hay (for bedding) inside the coop.....is that still usable? What about the food (also kept in the coop). It needs to dry and air-out for about an hour and a half or more before the chooks come back in.

For the birds theirselves............ your supposed to sprinkle Sevin dust on them......but do we need to rub it in their skin? And give them a bath afterward?

Thanks in advance!

MATERIALS:
plastic tub or bucket
Sevin dust
face mask for you
latex gloves

PROCESS:
1. Grab a bird.
2. Put it into the tub or bucket.
3. Sprinkle liberally on the bird. Pour some Sevin onto one hand and rub it under the wings, around the vent, and under the feathers as much as possible.
4. Repeat until all birds are treated.
5. Sprinkle Sevin around coop, expecially around corners and rub onto their roost.
6. Repeat again in a week after mite or lice eggs have hatched.

For applying sevin dust, we found that an old pillowcase inside of a garbage bag worked well to apply it to the birds. We left the bird's head outside of the open hole to keep them from inhaling as much of the dust. We still wore dust masks ourselves and rubber gloves. Hubby held the bag closed around the bird's neck and kept the bird still while I kind of shook the bag around her to get the dust all over and down in her feathers.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Good luck and I hope all turns out well
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom