Help the natives are restless!

PattyO

Songster
9 Years
Oct 25, 2010
I have six golden comets that are a year and three months old. I dont know what is going on but all five hens are attacking one. This has been happening for at least three days. This morning they wouldnt let her eat. I put two feed containers in there but whichever she went to they attacked her. Had to take her out and let her eat in the yard. She layed a perfectly normal egg this morning and appears to be normal. What gives. Anybody use pecking spray or aprons for this kind of thing? I am worried for her she doesnt fight back.

Watch them closely because most likely one of the attackers is the bully that started this. Once you identify the bully, separate her ASAP from the rest and keep her away for at least a week. In the meantime, inspect the victim closely for wounds and if she has any, get some bluecote or similar on her fast to keep them from picking that spot.

Blue coat is a sort of wound dressing that comes in a bottle or a spray bottle, and it's a very bright voilet blue color. Looks terrible on the chickens, but it is a good color because chickens don't find it attractive, so it's a pecking deterrent. Plus, it will help heal the wound.

Oh, and they have it at farm stores like TSC.
smile.png

Wear a full Haz-mat suit, or you will be purple for months! Blu-Kote is gentian violet, mostly, great stuff if you need it. But it stains everything and chickens will immediately shake and flap when you put it on, lol.

If the hen is okay, you need to look ate the reasons for the bullying. They might be crowded, bored, no telling what. Separating the bully will help, but she may become the victim when you put her back. Hope it works out!

Back
Top Bottom