Help their dying.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by colby bush, Jun 14, 2016.

1. colby bush

colby bush Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2015
    Odenville al
    I need help. It all started by a hen every so often but the last 5 months I have had about 6 die and I don't know why. The last hen that died today is the only one that showed any symptoms. She was just slow drowsy and when you touched you she fell over she was very weak and now she has died and has brown liquid coming from her mouth and white paste on her butt. But the other hens has shown no symptoms. I check on them at night and then the next day there dead. Help what could it be?

2. Siggie

Siggie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2015
    Northshore MN
    I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your chickens! The brown liquid could be blood tinged sputum related to respiratory and the pasty butt maybe Coccidiosis? Or worms? I wish I had answers, I am a new chicken owner and I am hoping somebody will come by soon with more experience to help you!! But I would start searching all the threads here by entering the keywords from each disease to see if any symptoms your birds have might fit. Good luck!!![​IMG]

3. chickencrazy21

chickencrazy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    west covina california
    I have about 46 birds. 16 are chicks. Ive had chickens 4 years now. I have learned this. The more you have the more problems youll get. Its a numbers game. I have come iut and found a bird dead here and there. Usually i notice the day before there not themselfs. The next day they will be dead. Basically...sh** happens. They can have a heart attack. They can choke. It cam be anythung. If you find the body soon enough you can send it in for a necropsy. Try googlong it for your area. Something like chicken died suddenly free necropsys near me. Trust me i know it sucks. But just like humans alot can happen to them

4. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    I would deworm flock and treat for coccidia. The worms can cause intestinal blockage. What are you feeding? I try to dump and really clean all my waterers and feeders once a week. During really hot weather I will provide extra water so no one is bullied.

I store my feed in metal garbage cans. I have to be aware that feed can mold due to high humidity. I use a large size of the stuff you put in closet to absorb humidity in the cans. If feed smells the least bit moldy it gets trashed.I

How good is your water? By that I mean is it heavily mineral laden? For example water high in sulfur or iron can interfere with uptake of copper and zinc.

I deworm at change of seasons, four times a year. East Tennessee has hot humid summers and mild winters with very few below freezing days. Parasites are from ground level to eighteen inches up, so chickens are heavily exposed.

5. colby bush

colby bush Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2015
    Odenville al
    I have to refill the feeder everyday and the water every other day and I mix vitamin b12 with it and all. I recently put a fan I the coop because I notice them painting and hanging out in the shade. This last hen has been the worst. Her stomach swelled up and her but was cover in what looked like white paste

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by