Help! Thermometer gauges/probes???Computer fan?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77horses, Dec 1, 2008.

  1. 77horses

    77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

    Aug 19, 2008
    Hi! I'm looking for one of those temp. probe thingys that you can use in an incubator on those wiggler things. I want to measure the temp. inside the water wiggler, but i can't figure out where to get a cheap yet useful temp. gauge/probe to use.
    Are there ANY stores(such as wal-mart, tractor supplies stores, etc) that sell these?? I really need one!
    Also, I want to add a computer case fan thing to the bator. Where can I get one(besides ordering one online)? How do I hook up the fan? Is there a way to just plug it in? I really don't want to have to get little motor thingys or any of that complicated wiring stuff to set up the fan.
    Thanks!!!! [​IMG]
  2. Heidi

    Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

    Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    You can by an Acurite hygrometer/thermometer at Lowes for about $12.00. The wire would go into the water wiggler which you can find at Walmart for .88 cents. I don't know about the computer fan, but I'm sure someone will come along with that info.
  3. 77horses

    77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

    Aug 19, 2008
    Quote:OK thanks! That helps a lot to know where i can get it. [​IMG]
  4. 77horses

    77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

    Aug 19, 2008
  5. bullrider

    bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 26, 2008
    i just bought one off ebay for 13.00 cause i could not find one any where else it is a cordless it just sit in there well today i found one at walmart for 7.00 (about 5 hours after i bought the one off ebay) thats my luck this is my first time hope i have better luck with my first batch.
  6. rebelcowboysnb

    rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

    You can get a pc fan at radio shack next to nothing or find a pc guy, they are usual swimming in old ones. Get a old radio or battery charger power plug. the kind that are to big to use the other outlet when its plugged in. It should say: output 12v DC or somthing close. It dont have to be 12v but it has to say DC. The cut the wires an wire them to the fan. There are only two on each an if you reverse them the fan blows the other way so no worries about messing it up. And there low voltage an low amperage so no worries about getting shocked.
  7. mirecipes

    mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

    Sep 5, 2008
    I guess I got lucky, I found 10 fans on ebay for $10.
    They should arrive this week..

    The one I currently have says it runs on 12vdc with 100ma
    My power supply says 12vdc with 200 ma.. And it seems to work fine [​IMG]

    The power supply I used went to an old cordless phone that quit working.
  8. rebelcowboysnb

    rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

    Quote:That means that the fan needs 12v at 100ma.

    Think of it as a 12 inch water pipe an the water s flowing at 100 feet a minute. The supply is 12 inches an flowing at 200 feet a minute. So the supply pipe could flow in to a Y an each side would flow 100 feet a minute.

    So that supply should run 2 of those fans at full speed.

    But if your supply said 6v or 50ma it would have half the pipe(6v) or half the flow(50ma) that your fan called for. So it would run one fan at half the speed. It may also burn up quicker.

    That make any sense?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by